Esteemed Contributor

Re: HILL STREET BLUES ...FROM THE PAST

My kids' grade school was on Hill Street.  They used to say they had the Hill Street Blues when school would start. 😃

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Hill Street Blues was such a great show; one of my all time favorites.  What a crazy cast of characters they had.  And Michael Warren was so handsome!  

Respected Contributor

While I love seeing this series, I am reminded of who died and are no longer here. J.D. La Rue AKA Kiel Martin died at the age of 46 on 12/28/1990.

When I see all these actors I also remember that as the viewers have aged, so have the actors and some are gone as are the viewers.

Makes me a bit sad. 

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:
Hill Street Blues is one of my all time favorite shows. Also, it had the best theme song ever. We've watched the entire series at least twice on H & I a few years ago.

I use that as my ringtone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Michael Conrad started to look ill near the end. It was sad and replacing his character was never the same.

I didn't really care for Joyce Davenport; always seemed that she felt above everyone else.  Beautiful real hair, though, long before all the false  hair extensions we see today.  LOL

I think Veronica Hamel was in another series and she seemed to act in quite a few made for TV movies after Hill Street.

Not sure about Dan Travanti.  I only remember him playing John Walsh in a biopic movie about Walsh and the murder of his son.

@Cakers3 

I alway thought we (and most of the characters on the show) were supposed to feel that way about Joyce Davenport. Occasionally, we saw her humanity but those times were few and far between.

As for Daniel J Travanti, I went to college with a cousin of his. (She was a good deal younger than him)  During the HSB run, there were rumors he was g+a+y.  At that time, it wasn't something actors and actresses announced to the public.  The rumors plagued him and he did not do much TV after Hill Street.  Every now and then, you'll see him as a guest star on a rerun.  It's such a shame.  "Pizza Man" was a wonderful character, thanks to the talented DJT.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1   I don't recall ever hearing those rumors about Daniel J Travanti, but I often wondered if he was gay since he never married and was never publicly linked to any woman.  

He was so good in that roll; I enjoyed him and Joyce Davenport as a couple.

Honored Contributor

I also heard that about Travanti years ago. 

Respected Contributor

I watch this show on Hulu so I can avoid commercials. Loved it in the 80's and still love it. 

Daniel J Travanti still acts. I saw him on an episode of Crimminal Minds, and several episodes of NCIS Los Angeles.
I didn't recognize him untilI read the credits. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 wrote:

@lulu1   I don't recall ever hearing those rumors about Daniel J Travanti, but I often wondered if he was gay since he never married and was never publicly linked to any woman.  

He was so good in that roll; I enjoyed him and Joyce Davenport as a couple.

I do not think DJT was ever named.  Rather, the gossip sheets would have headlines like, "What lead actor of an ensemble cast, in an award winning,  major network show........" As you mentioned, he never seemed to be linked with any woman.

Today, no one would think twice. In the 80s, it just wasn't talked about.

I saw DJT in an off Broadway play a least 10 years ago.  He looked older than his chronological age.  I believe he suffered from alcoholism and it seemed to have taken a toll on him.

Honored Contributor

It was always assumed if an actor was not married it meant he was gay.  Same for female actresses but not as common.

The same was said about John Mahoney (Frasier).

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh