Honored Contributor

HILARIOUS 1972 BARBRA STREISAND COMEDY FRIDAY 8:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

8:15 a.m. Eastern--  "What's Up, Doc?"  Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal, Madelyn Kahn

Wonderfully frothy comedy, very deftly and knowingly written. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich.  It's all very madcap, in the style of the screwball comedies of the Thirties.  Streisand's unconventional character is reportedly an homage to the nutcake Katharine Hepburn character in "Bringing Up Baby".

It involves a mixup with identical plaid luggage, which brings stuffy, academic, Ryan O'Neal into collision with kooky, "Judy Maxwell" (Streisand) and a bunch of nefarious characters as well.  Madelyn Kahn also does one of her priceless comic turns, this time as O'Neal's very bossy fiancee....

I wish Streisand had done more comedy.  If you are used to seeing her in more solemn, dramatic outings, you'll be pleasantly surprised, I think, at the way she gives herself up to the inspired silliness all around her.  Delightful!

The other tried and true Streisand vehicles are on hand on Friday as well ("The Way We Were", "The Prince of Tides") but don't miss out on the chance to smile and giggle all through this movie confection... 

Honored Contributor

Re: HILARIOUS 1972 BARBRA STREISAND COMEDY FRIDAY 8:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Ryan and Babs "meet cute".   Don't you love that he's a total nerd in this?  In fact, both of them are playing against type, very effectively I think:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1363375/What-s-Up-Doc-Movie-Clip-He-Falls-Down-A-Lot.html

Super Contributor

Who is that dangerously unbalanced woman?

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @suziebee1, it's just Babs, cutting up...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  This is very funny, I remember it.  Have you see the Owl and the Pussycat?  It was funny also.

Honored Contributor

Only tiny snippets, but what I did see was funny, @mousiegirl.  I like the young George Segal....

Respected Contributor

This is one of the funniest movies ever! So many quotable lines. . . Ryan O'Neill was amazing; Barbra exquisite and hilarious. . .

I remember seeing it in the theater. The Chinese dragon parade sequence had my sisters and me almost on the floor, weak with laughter!

Honored Contributor

You're so right, @insomniac2-- at times you're just laughing helplessly, watching this well-choreographed dementedness.

I forgot that the hysterically gentle and soft-spoken Austin Pendleton is in this- he's a scream too.

Here's your favorite scene with Ryan and Babs hurtling pell mell right through the Chinese dragon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=XpAWpgZV-K0

Honored Contributor

Gosh, that was well done, wasn't it? Funny. Of course I've seen this but don't remember it AT ALL. I remember dressing like that-the flares she had on. (yeah, I know, I'm shallow). 

Honored Contributor

She looks great in her classically Seventies togs, doesn't she, @Judaline?  I bet you did too!

I like her schoolboy cap and the sort of exotic print red shirt she had on in the drugstore, and her sleek pantsuit in the mad chase...