Respected Contributor

Re: HGTV's Lottery Dream Home in Manhattan, NYC

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe   Indeed, the recycling truck. Thank you. 
I don't hear the sirens either.  
When I moved to the northern burbs of Chicago the horn on my car was blown out, almost nothing left. I thought horns on cars here were OPTIONAL! No one here honks!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa reading the post above made me realize my response to your post was incomplete.

While the recycling truck does not wake ME up, just like you, I wake up to birds.  These little guys are everywhere:

I was born and raised in a suburb in Puerto Rico, and I woke up to birds there too, and never gave birds much thought, TBH.  We had lots of parakeets at home.  They interrupted my phone calls then.

Birds are plentiful in NYC streets, and I have a tree branch just outside my bedroom window.  I think I also have a pigeon's nest near another window, and if I open that window sufficiently, those guys sometimes come inside, and I then have to coax them out...

About 350 species of birds call NYC home, but these are the most plentiful.

This is the street where I live in Manhattan, on a day they parked antique cars for filming.

IMG_1393.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe @nyc1 

Thank you for posting about Manhattan being featured on My Lottery Dream Home. I stopped watching a while back when it seemed David was helping people find homes that didn't interest me based on the location, price, etc. 

That being said, I wish I had seen last night's episode. I checked On Demand and don't see it listed yet--maybe sometimes in the future. 

You see, I love to study Manhattan and have actually made a hobby of it. I really enjoy exploring (via computer) all the neighborhoods. If the location of a movie/tv series happens to be Manhattan--I'm usually i n!

Like you NYCLatinaMe, I would not choose to live in a highrise having once lived on the 19th floor of an apartment building. But nyc1, I'm curious about you not wanting to live in the Village. This could change on any given day, but right now I am intrigued with the West Village.

I am definitely a horn honker nyc1, but only in good/affluent neighborhoods!

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz where do you live?  Now I am curious.

I see the most of my New York on TV in FBI.  It used to be Law and Order, but the locations now used are a little non-descript.  I used to see them film a lot near my home, but I haven't recognized many locations other than the Courthouse.  Also based in NYC are the Equalizer and the shortlived the Endgame.  Nothing else comes to mind.

What are your NYC shows?

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I lived in center city Philadelphia, so I am familiar with city sounds! Smiley Happy There were birds all over, too, not just pigeons!

Anyway, thanks for a glimpse into city life! But, I can honestly say I do not miss it!

Super Contributor

I loved reading your post-- and all posts.  I am from TN and fell in love on my first trip there about 12 years ago.  In fact, I've been back 15 times since!  My friend's daughter lived in the Financial District---my, her apt was small---the microwave had to be in the living area.  I don't know about the rent but with a full time door man, I assume it was quite high.

Anyway, if I were a LOT younger, I'm a Senior Citizen now, I would try my best to move there some how some way!

I love to watch TV/movies filmed there, read books about there---- I just feel like I "belong" there when I visit.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

You asked what NYC movies/tv I like and of course my mind goes blank.😄 I am big into crime drama so yes FBI (although I wish it was more about OA and Maggie like it once was). Some oldies but goodies--NYPD Blue and Cagney and Lacey (which was never filmed in NYC, but we were led to believe it was). I am currently binging The Godfather of Harlem. 

How about the first season of You where Joe's girl Beck lived at 131 East 19th St. There is The Bold Type where I became intrigued with the Flatiron Building and of course the ever famous Sex in the City. And I can't forget the movie New York I Love You❤️

That is a charming photo of your street lined with antique automobiles. If I were you I might frame it and have it on display (I like representative artwork).

You asked where my home is--I live in a condo in Minneapolis. It's not Manhattan, but it is home.

IMG_20221225_035956016_HDR~3.jpg

5737815_97.jpg

Thank you for sharing your city with me!

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz Lots of shows I don't know about!  Interested in You but feel like my crime quota is filled with FBI, FBI International, L&O and L&O SVU, Equalizer, but might check ot out at some point.  I did watch NYPD Blue and Sex and the City.

Oh, and I forgot East New York!  Not Manhattan, but excellent show.  Still love Jimmy Smits.

Love your pictures!

Never been to Minneapolis, but have heard a lot of good things about it.  Maybe I'll make it there...

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 2.58.33 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

Oh how could I forget about Law & Order? I stepped away for a while and have just come back. So far I would say I like L&O best. I didn't like the story line of the SVU trilogy and hope it's over. 

Thank you for sharing comments on your beloved city that so speak to me.  Anytime you want to post about it, you will have my ear.

If given the opportunity, you should visit the Twin Cities. I promise we are not all ice fishing lumberjacks who shop at the Mall of America.😄 

You must be a Prince fan! We have several murals peppered around town with a  huge newly commissioned one downtown. Impressive? Yes. But this little unassuming piece that portrays Prince when he was young is perhaps my favorite. 

images (12).jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz That is very beautiful as well.  Thanks for sharing.  I have been a Prince fan since 1981!

I do have friends who visited Minneapolis and had nothing but good things to say about the place and its people.  He said they were lots of fun!  I didn't mention it earlier because it was a long time ago... 

ps -- I am posting soon on that SVU thread too.  What a mess that was!