Trusted Contributor

I have come to really dislike the hgtv channel. I fail to see the point of David Bromstads role in his show  lottery dreamhome. A person wins some money, he goes to a realtor and gets listings of houses for sale and then shows them to the buyer. Why does the couple not just go thru the realtor. The concept is pointless.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@webbgarner1, I have to respectfully disagree.  I really like this show and especially the ideas he has for improving properties he is showing the winners.  His expertise is design and color, but I always like his limited series Ccolor Splash.  That said, I have been impressed and humbled by the way many winners have set lower budgets for their dream homes and, in many cases, those homes aren’t the super updated homes that everyone including first time buyers (think, House Hunters) think they will find on their limited budget.  Those are the shows that annoy me.  But to each his or her own.

Valued Contributor

Re: HGTV lottery dream home

[ Edited ]

Different strokes for different folks.  This is one of my favorite shows on HGTV.  I enjoy him and like seeing how folks are spending their winnings.  I always find it funny that they push the idea that the winners take home what they actually won.  If you win a million, after taxes you're still not a millionaire. . .although I wouldn't mind finding that out first hand!!

Respected Contributor

I like the show too. They are everyday people that win and do not go insane buying very expensive houses. Some do already own a house so that would also help them putting more of a down payment towards a new house. I would never go on the show if I won because old long lost relatives would be calling me asking for money. Once every 3 months I will put my whole $5 on scratchers. Most I every won was $20 guess no new house for me. Also 4 Christmas stockings have scratchers in them, I do it every year. Hope they win big.

Honored Contributor

I like seeing real estate in other parts of the country .... and am also impressed with how conservative people are when buying a home they could pay cash for! 

I recal one winner of about $3 million nd he didn't want to spend more than $400k for the new home.  Different strokes, as they say .... lol.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I do love this show and I do dearly love David.

The show seems to be very condensed, those hour long shows are brutal.   Too much detail.

I get from watching that David is a realtor, as well as a designer, when a realtor is working a "territory" not their own, they often get input from local realtors.    I know all the realtors in my area work together and end up splitting the fee when a house is sold.

I remember one show where a man had won a lot of money, David showed him a very big, luxurious home but after seeing it, the man decided on something more modest AND bought a home for his sister & nephew.   

Although the ads for his show are flashy, it doesn't reflect the true vibe.

I don't live in a lottery state but would love to win if only to do the show with David!

Respected Contributor

This is one of the few shows that I still like on HGTV. As others have stated, the winners are usually regular folks who, thanks to the lottery, are able to buy a house that they wouldn’t have been able to afford otherwise. That said, they’re still pretty conservative in setting their budget. I also like the way David interacts with the winners. He treats them respectfully and usually stays within their budget, while maintaining his own personality. I enjoy watching it, much more than most of the other shows on HGTV. 

Trusted Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

I have come to really dislike the hgtv channel. I fail to see the point of David Bromstads role in his show  lottery dreamhome. A person wins some money, he goes to a realtor and gets listings of houses for sale and then shows them to the buyer. Why does the couple not just go thru the realtor. The concept is pointless.

This is the only show I watch faithfully.  I live in the high priced NE, so I love to see how much house you can get for reasonable prices in other parts of the country.  A five hundred thousand dollar house in Missouri would surely go for well over a million and more here in NY.  I also like David's suggestions for changes.  What does surprise me is that some of floor plans of those big, beautiful homes are often quite odd. I've seen narrow entrances, small hallways to kitchen and dining areas, steep staircases, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I’ve seen the show a few times and then watched a few episodes last night. I enjoyed it. I also like to see different parts of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

I really like this show. It’s really cool how most of these winners buy normal priced houses and don’t go overboard. There has been one show where they bought a 16k square foot house in the mountains but they had won so much money it was barely a dent in their winnings.