Honored Contributor

HBO bought the rights to "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara

"I'll Be Gone in the Dark" is the book about the extremely sick, twisted and prolific rapist then serial killer who was never caught. 

This is the book written by Patton Oswalt's wife Michelle McNamara, a crime blogger who made unmasking this horrible killer a personal obsession, who named him The Golden State Killer, who sadly died in her sleep.

ID Discovery recently ran a four-part series that provides very little that isn't in the book.  I guess if you haven't read the book it could be interesting but HBO's will blow it away.

IMO all of HBO's documentaries are extremely high quality.  (Loved the latest, on Elvis).

I hope this one will work out like "The Jinx," the HBO documentary which directly resulted in Robert Durst finally going to prison for murder.

Honored Contributor

Re: HBO bought the rights to "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara

@LoriLori wrote:

"I'll Be Gone in the Dark" is the book about the extremely sick, twisted and prolific rapist then serial killer who was never caught. 

This is the book written by Patton Oswalt's wife Michelle McNamara, a crime blogger who made unmasking this horrible killer a personal obsession, who named him The Golden State Killer, who sadly died in her sleep.

ID Discovery recently ran a four-part series that provides very little that isn't in the book.  I guess if you haven't read the book it could be interesting but HBO's will blow it away.

IMO all of HBO's documentaries are extremely high quality.  (Loved the latest, on Elvis).

I hope this one will work out like "The Jinx," the HBO documentary which directly resulted in Robert Durst finally going to prison for murder.

I really want to read this book! Was it your comment I remember reading Lori, about it being scary? Did you finally finish it?

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN, still reading it.  This guy was one of the sickest and most prolific offenders ever.  And very weird.  They have tons of his DNA but I read (not in the book) that Ancestry.com does not cooperate with LE.

I'm still reading it.  Her lead investigator and friend and also her editor worked gamely to finish the book but it has weaknesses.  Still the subject matter and the stuff Michelle uncovered in an effort to catch this sickest of sickos -- it makes for very compelling reading.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN, sorry, didn't really answer your question.  I recommend the book despite its weaknesses.  It's fascinating.  It's actually given me nightmares but it is a remarkable book definitely worth reading.  Watching that ID series is like reading the crib notes.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN, still reading it.  This guy was one of the sickest and most prolific offenders ever.  And very weird.  They have tons of his DNA but I read (not in the book) that Ancestry.com does not cooperate with LE.

I'm still reading it.  Her lead investigator and friend and also her editor worked gamely to finish the book but it has weaknesses.  Still the subject matter and the stuff Michelle uncovered in an effort to catch this sickest of sickos -- it makes for very compelling reading.

@LoriLori I definitely will read this......Unbelievable......That was so sad to read about the author as well...

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN, very sad.  So glad Patton Oswalt found happiness with another woman, married her and she's raising Michelle's and his daughter Alice together with him.

Did you happen to see HBO's "The Jinx?"  It's extraordinary.  And got results...I honestly believe HBO is likely the only chance this guy will be caught.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Oh I hadn't heard that Patton remarried. I am so glad! I have not seen The Jinx, but will watch for it on HBO......

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori, I am sure HBO will knock it out of the park.  I will keep an eye out for a the Jinx.  Thanks!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom @CANDLEQUEEN

If you have Comcast it's On Demand under "Series" because it's a six-parter.  This guy killed three people including his wife and a neighbor whose body he chopped up and managed to get off.  Then along came HBO...

...may it happen with The Golden State Killer.  He was young when he committed those crimes.  He could still be alive.  Based on the huge budget HBO gives John Oliver and put into The Jinx I expect a lot from their doc on The Golden State Killer.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN @Lilysmom

OMG OMG OMG --

The HBO documentary may have taken a very different turn because --

-- it looks like they've got him  Press conference noon California time today.  They have not confirmed it but a spokesperson said "It looks good." 

And despite three prior documentaries and several books, they are crediting Michelle McNamara's book with shining a big light on the crimes.

Please be him.  Please.  We'll know soon.  I hope Michelle is somewhere where she can see the fruits of her hard labors, and Patton Oswalt, if this is true, has new peace in his heart.