Respected Contributor

HBO Catherine the Great/Helen Mirren

this launched this week.  i'm interested in reviews from those who watched it.

Honored Contributor

Re: HBO Catherine the Great/Helen Mirren

@ms traditional wrote:

thanks .  I wanted to watch it

Honored Contributor

I watched it.  I am a big Helen Mirren fan and I love historical dramas but I was disappointed.  It's hard to describe but Catherine the Great is a larger than life historical and political figure.  Strong, Powerful.  Mirren didn't bring that to the role.  Not so far anyway, it's only episode 1.   There story is weak too, it doesn't draw the viewer in at all.  Honestly, I watched only because Helen Mirren is in it.  That's my opinion, for what its's worth.

Regular Contributor

I watched and had a similar reaction.  I wasn't drawn in.  I'll probably stick with it since there is not a lot else on Monday nights that I like.  But overall, I was disappointed

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree @Jannygaz   thanks for your reactions.  pls check in after episode 2 if you think of it.  sometimes these things start slow, setting the scene, then build from there.

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see it since I'm a history buff and have read couple of books on her.

Bet they sex and trash it up. Nothing like in real life. Wonder how they portrayed her when young ?  Bring in a young girl ?  If they add about 60 pds on her as she got older. She wasn't thin person.

Respected Contributor

I watched because of H.M.  Very disappointing show, nothing interesting at all. I know HM wanted to do this role because she is ethnically Russian. She gave a very weak performance and she looks terrible, too much plastic surgery.

But there is a show on Netflix, done by the Russians, with subtitles, with one wonderful younger actress and one great actor portraying her husband Peter 111.

So much better show. Try it if you like the topic.

Esteemed Contributor

Agreed.  I watched the whole series.  Disappointed.  The only time I thought HM wasn’t great.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

I watched the 1st episode. It begins  around 1772  or so  after she over throws her husband Peter III and he is dead  . She was abt 43  yrs old .since she was born abt 1729 in Prussia.   Their son Paul had just reached age of maturity. 

My opinion is that the story seems  presented a little  low keyed amid all the  secreted affairs of how she came into  power and  what secrets need to be kept for her to remain in power. As , I watched more secrets are revealed . Helen Miren does a terrific job in displaying the complexity of Catherine the Great's personality .  One scene she is smiling and encouraging her son  to think of beautiful ladies  as he's now old enough to marry . In an instant when he walks away she discusses with another  as to what he son knows and if he's been consulting with others to gain power.  You have to watch and listen  carefully at the dialogue, as Catherine was a crafty  , intelligent and  very conniving Empress . Like the other HBO shows there are frequent sex scenes . Haven't seen the nudity yet but who knows  what future episodes  will reveal.

Honored Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

I watched because of H.M.  Very disappointing show, nothing interesting at all. I know HM wanted to do this role because she is ethnically Russian. She gave a very weak performance and she looks terrible, too much plastic surgery.

But there is a show on Netflix, done by the Russians, with subtitles, with one wonderful younger actress and one great actor portraying her husband Peter 111.

So much better show. Try it if you like the topic.

@SANNA   What is the show called?  I'm interested!