Esteemed Contributor

HAMILTON movie to be released a year early!

Copied from Vogue article.

Good news for adult theater fans and kids who aced their history tests because of Hamilton lyrics alike: The musical's creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, will release a filmed version of the show on Disney+ on July 3.

A filmic version of Hamilton was due to hit the big screen on October 15, 2021, but the team behind it has decided to hit the gas pedal and make the musical available to the masses during what's projected to be a slow, likely quarantined summer.

The drop of the movie, which was acquired during by Disney for $75 million in worldwide rights, during the run-up to July 4th weekend isn't an accident, given its intensely patriotic themes. “I’m so grateful to Disney and Disney+ for reimagining and moving up our release to July 4th weekend of this year, in light of the world turning upside down," Miranda said in a statement. “We are thrilled to bring this phenomenon to Disney+ on the eve of Independence Day, and we have the brilliant Lin-Manuel Miranda and the team behind ‘Hamilton’ to thank for allowing us to do so more than a year before planned," added Disney chair Bob Iger.

Looks like I’ll be paying for Disney+ in July!!

QVC Customer Care

Re: HAMILTON movie to be released a year early!

Honored Contributor

It's a great story, good music and terrific performances.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Good news for adult theater fans and kids who aced their history tests because of Hamilton lyrics alike: The musical's creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, will release a filmed version of the show on Disney+ on July 3.

A filmic version of Hamilton was due to hit the big screen on October 15, 2021, but the team behind it has decided to hit the gas pedal and make the musical available to the masses during what's projected to be a slow, likely quarantined summer.

The drop of the movie, which was acquired during by Disney for $75 million in worldwide rights, during the run-up to July 4th weekend isn't an accident, given its intensely patriotic themes. “I’m so grateful to Disney and Disney+ for reimagining and moving up our release to July 4th weekend of this year, in light of the world turning upside down," Miranda said in a statement. “We are thrilled to bring this phenomenon to Disney+ on the eve of Independence Day, and we have the brilliant Lin-Manuel Miranda and the team behind ‘Hamilton’ to thank for allowing us to do so more than a year before planned," added Disney chair Bob Iger.

Those who "aced their history tests" will hopefully not confuse the "reimaginings" of Big Corporate Entertainment and its actor acolytes with facts and reality.  A dramatization of a dramatization is no substitute for the magnificently written actual sources (such as The Federalist Papers), which are not only instructive but awe-inspiring.  (Then again, maybe a Hollywood version will tempt viewers to check out the real thing...)

Esteemed Contributor

I won't be watching.  I have my reasons, but I am not allowed to state them here.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

This is great. I am looking forward to watching "Hamilton*. The, movie will probably be released to the regular video outlets for rent or sale. 

Honored Contributor

I heard about this on my local news, I'm so excited! I just wish we didn't have to wait until July 3. I originally heard it would be released around the fall next year. It is nice of Disney+ to release it earlier and on their streaming platform. I wonder if Lin Manuel Miranda pushed for it?

Honored Contributor

I don't have Disney and have no reason to subscribe, so I sure hope it shows up elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

Those who "aced their history tests" will hopefully not confuse the "reimaginings" of Big Corporate Entertainment and its actor acolytes with facts and reality.  A dramatization of a dramatization is no substitute for the magnificently written actual sources (such as The Federalist Papers), which are not only instructive but awe-inspiring.  (Then again, maybe a Hollywood version will tempt viewers to check out the real thing...)

@vsm  I couldn't agree more and personally am not a fan of the 'reimagining'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I was so excited to hear this.  I thought it would be on ABC I do not pay of Disney plus.  I do have regular Disney on cable.  I am sure this will be a great showSmiley Happy