Respected Contributor

Guilty pleasures: I'm going to fess up

There are some old and/or cheesy television shows that I watch by myself because I don't want anyone to know how pedestrian my taste is; or, just because they're so bad they're entertaining.

The #1 Cheese is...T. J. Hooker
William Shatner at his all time worst (although he is pretty good at that steeley-eyed glare). I wonder how many corsets they had to use to get him into his uniform. And that hairpiece! Couldn't they afford something better?

However, I've always liked the actor James Darren who played Stacy's partner. Adrian Zmed was a good looking, really buff boy but Corrigan was a man!

#2 Dragnet

Need I say more? Except that I'll never understand what that sweaty hand pounding a chisel at the end was supposed to mean.

Highway Patrol

Are you sensing a trend here?

Adam 12

Another cheesey cop show--originated by Jack Webb

Sea Hunt

The one with Lloyd Bridges as a scuba diver. It came on late Friday nights and I could barely keep my open but as soon as I heard the the theme music, I woke up.

Peppa Pig
I discovered that with my granddaughter recently and occasionally sneak a peek myself; I think it's funny and clever. She used to like Daniel Tiger, which I hated, but I'd grit my teeth and watch along with her.

One more guilty pleasure that has nothing to do with movies/television: Oreo Cookie Ice Cream.

Movies: I just re-discovered an old movie: The Devil At Four O'Clock. Oh my god, a cheese fest! A very young Barbara Luna was in it and she was so beautiful she glowed.

Anyone else care to bare you soul here? It'll be fun!

Honored Contributor

Re: Guilty pleasures: I'm going to fess up

Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, and General Hospital.  They've been 'cheesy' for years, and proud of it.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, and General Hospital.  They've been 'cheesy' for years, and proud of it.  

LOL!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, you  had me chuckling . Some of these shows  , I had forgotten . I'll have to think abt it  more to come up with some .

I had an old VHS tape - Dark Shadows  series .  I could not  exit the school bus quickly enough to run in the door and turn on the TV to see Dark Shadows. I think it came on abt 4pm or 4:30pm . I usually missed the first 5-10 mins . There were several of my friends who watched and we would  discuss the episodes. The series was pretty cheesy  when I watched a VHS of it years later. I always like  Angelique despite her being such a devil.

Dark Shadows is an American gothic soap opera that originally aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966, to April 2, 1971. A total of 1,225 episodes were produced, but during the course of its run, the show was pre-empted 20 times

Respected Contributor

Ooo, "Dragnet"!  It isn't on any of the channels we have now, but I DVR'd a bunch of favorites: The dogs that were trained to steal ladies' purses is classic!

"According to Jim" - Never saw this when it originally aired, but we enjoy the reruns.  

"That 70's Show"

Lots of the old game shows on BUZZR, such as "Sale of the Century" and "Card Sharks"

Honored Contributor

When I was a young girl, my uncle took me to a pro wrestling match.  He told me it wasn't real and I actually found it to be entertaining.  I still watch wrestling which I am embarrassed to admit.  However, I know it is fake and just pure entertainment.  The story lines become silly and ridiculous, the women's outfits much too skimpy and insulting to women, I do not care for the family behind the entertainment at all.  As you can see my guilty pleasure is wearing thin!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Totally agree with you about TJ Hooker. I used to love that show and then when I saw it in reruns, I was laughing about how bad of an actor William Shatner is and couldn't believe how much I loved the show when it actually aired. Another one that I loved and  find so cheesy now is Hart to Hart. Still love the dog though!

It's funny to watch how different things were back then. I watch Dragnet alot still also and one was a black & white episode and Fridays partner was shot and in the hospital. So Friday and another cop go to see him and they both brought him a carton of cigarettes. And the wife of the guy that was shot was visiting family out of state and they had to send her a telegram to get ahold of her! 

cookin

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten    We'll arrange an intervention when you start watching Honey Boo Boo. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

At the end of Dragnet that sweaty hand was Jack Webb putting his mark on his production.

Esteemed Contributor

I vaguely remember Adam 12.  Wasn't there a really cute dark haired guy?  Or am I thinking of the show Emergency?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead