Trusted Contributor

I thought it was pretty slow-moving at the beginning but I did get more into it.  I will keep watching.  Problem for me is sometimes I was unable to understand what was being said - Scottish accents can be harder to understand.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Guilt PBS Series

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I wonder if it's meant as a sort of dark comedy. Sometimes those appeal to the British, but this one lacked wit and belabored the interaction between the brothers. 

@occasionalrain  I think it was intended as such, and I think it likely had more appeal for Scots and Brits, where it was received favorably, though clearly some Americans appreciated it too. I also think this is probably the type of show you had to be in the mood to watch and if you weren't you weren't going to be captured by it. I just wasn't in the mood, so couldn't stick with it. Series 1 appears to be only four episodes, so one assumes it'll end next week.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Speaking of PBS, it's well past time for my local stations to revamp programming. Given they rely so much on repeat programming, it's time to shuffle the deck. Almost every night of the week, programming has essentially been mediocre for quite some time. I'd add that, for me, the entire evening of all subtitled 'Foreign Favorites, is a complete non-starter.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I watched half the episode, realized it was two hours and left for good.

Boring and predictable to me. Seemed like something from the 80's or 90's where it might have been a new twist but not now.

Valued Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

Tonight PBS in my area aired the first two episodes of the series Guilt. 

If you watched, what are your thoughts?

Thanks to All who responded!

For me, the beginning of the story seemed to move slowly. Then when the photo of the "young" niece was found, I felt the storyline began to have more intrigue. 
I also had to listen closely in order to understand the Scottish accent. 
I will continue to watch the remaining episodes. 
Appreciate your comments!

Esteemed Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

I thought it was pretty slow-moving at the beginning but I did get more into it.  I will keep watching.  Problem for me is sometimes I was unable to understand what was being said - Scottish accents can be harder to understand.

--------

I agree !!  I did enjoy the show though slow at first, but did have several twists in storyline. 

I watch shows on Acorn and in many, the actors have Scottish accents.  I always have to turn on the close captioning!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Guilt PBS Series

[ Edited ]

@naturalfan wrote:

Wanted to add that it's actually kind of funny about Scottish accents.  I actually had a boyfried from Scotland.  Many years ago, I was just a teen but he was the first boy in the neighborhood who had long hair and he actually came from Scotland.  Not an English long haired boy but close enough at the time.  

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the first two episodes and their humorous undertones. Hopefully, I'll like the future ones.

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@naturalfan wrote:

--------

I agree !!  I did enjoy the show though slow at first, but did have several twists in storyline. 

I watch shows on Acorn and in many, the actors have Scottish accents.  I always have to turn on the close captioning!

Anybody watch the "Taggart" series (Scottish) years back? So good. They didn't have CC then and it was almost impossible to catch what they were saying. I still watched and at least found out whodunnit, lol.

Frequent Contributor

I tuned in but can't say that I focused on it (with computer in lap) as I have PTSD and this type of drama and its psychopaths are particularly upsetting to me.  Did this show have a "Breaking Bad" (Scottish version) vibe to anyone else?  It was unmistakable to me and I couldn't shake it.  YMMV.

I was a BB devotee in my pre-PTSD life.  I can't remember now but there was even a song featured in the Guilt 2nd episode that included "blue" something or other in the lyrics -- sorry I don't recall it -- roughly paralelling "Crystal Blue Persuasion" in my mind.  Even the characters are similar to BB.

As I love PBS, I will probably tune in next week -- using my laptop as a shield. 😀