Honored Contributor

Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas, "Ninotchka" TCM

2:00 p.m. Eastern--  One of my favorite films with the legendary Greta Garbo.  I find people usually either love her, or can't understand what all the fuss is about.  I think she's up there with the other one-of-a-kind movie presences, Fred Astaire, Cary Grant, Judy Garland.  Of each you can say "There's truly no one else in films like this unique, immensely talented person".  

Garbo's elusive mystique grew on me over time. Perhaps the more you are exposed to her, the more you "get" it.  But, thousands have pages have been written about the phenomenon of Garbo-- on to the movie!  

This film has been created around the particular strengths of the principal performers.  Garbo is perfect as the seemingly humorless Soviet apparatchik who arrives in Paris to drag back three of her fellow Communists who are succumbing to the charms of Gay Paree.  Melvyn Douglas is the ideal playboy positioned to throw a wrench into her earnest plans and make her also yearn for a little Western frivolity...

Love Melvyn Douglas in this-- he always seems to be having a wonderful time, and his humor and playfulness juxtaposed with Garbo's utilitarianism---  delicious!

Honored Contributor

Re: Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas, "Ninotchka" TCM

Agree that she is a "one of a kind presence."  Maybe not a great actress but my favorite movie of hers is Queen Christina playing opposite her real life lover John Gilbert.  Regardless of the movie she's in, she is the one I watch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oznell,

I hope I do not disappoint  -- and know that I seriously respect your selections of "best" this or that -- but I am one of those unmoved by Garbo's charms and talent.  Have watched her many times and I am left with no real response.  

Now my taste will likely have dubious merit in your mind, and I can't blame you for that, but it is what it is.

Honored Contributor

Nothing wrong with your reaction, @golding76-- to each his own!

I agree with @kaydee50, she may not be a great actress in conventional terms.  I wonder if she was any good on the stage?  But it's the interaction of her persona with the camera that amazes me.  I see it a little even in still photos of her.  "Eminently watchable" (to me.)

Honored Contributor

Following up on my Garbo comment, I must admit I did not fully value the sheer brilliance of Ingrid Bergman until rewatching Gaslight the other evening.  Oh yes, she always moved me, but I was absolutely blown away seeing this film again. 

I'd "stopped in" on it, midpoint, what seems like thousands of times, but the other night was the first time I saw this movie from start to finish since my teen years, I believe.  My mouth was agape in admiration as well as feeling appalled by what she was enduring and, of course, her unmatched acting.

Believe this or not, I mentioned to someone with me that she deserved an Academy Award for this role.  Of course I immediately googled to see if she was even nominated the year Gaslight was released.  AND THERE IT WAS!  Ingrid Bergman won Best Actress in 1945 for the film!  I was tickled, just tickled.

Not all Swedish actresses leave me cold.

Honored Contributor

We posted simultaneously, I see, Oznell.  I will try her again, looking for what you see in her.  Guidance sometimes helps naysayers. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Following up on my Garbo comment, I must admit I did not fully value the sheer brilliance of Ingrid Bergman until rewatching Gaslight the other evening.  Oh yes, she always moved me, but I was absolutely blown away seeing this film again. 

I'd "stopped in" on it, midpoint, what seems like thousands of times, but the other night was the first time I saw this movie from start to finish since my teen years, I believe.  My mouth was agape in admiration as well as feeling appalled by what she was enduring and, of course, her unmatched acting.

Believe this or not, I mentioned to someone with me that she deserved an Academy Award for this role.  Of course I immediately googled to see if she was even nominated the year Gaslight was released.  AND THERE IT WAS!  Ingrid Bergman won Best Actress in 1945 for the film!  I was tickled, just tickled.

Not all Swedish actresses leave me cold.

Could not agree with you more!  That performance of Ingrid's in Gaslight is a tour de force.  Don't know who her competition was that year but regardless she deserved it just based on the last scene with Charles Boyer.  Brilliant!  I would bet that most people would agree Bergman is a better actress than Garbo but there is something about GG, her "mystique" that makes her unique.

Honored Contributor

My favorite snipet of clever dialogue:  

Iranoff:  "Do you want to be alone?"

Ninotchka:  "No."

Honored Contributor

Love Melvyn Douglas as usual but I hate to say not too impressed with GGs role. I honestly don't remember seeing her in anything. Still enjoying the oldies though.

Honored Contributor

Funny, last night Decades ran a ****** Cavett Show from 1970, and Melvyn Douglas was one of his guests. They mentioned Ninotchka.