Honored Contributor

Re: Great News For Beatles Fans! PBS To Run Two Docs on 11/25 Back-to-Back

Hooray - my local PBS station is carrying both documentaries, starting with Ron Howard's at 8:00 pm.  I can't wait!   I sure hope @Beth-QVC  doesn't have to work tonight (see beginning of thread - she wants to see the docs). 

QVC Customer Care

@Pearlee

Thanks for the reminder! Of course I have to work tonight but will be able to catch on "rewind"...Enjoy as I know you will.

Beth QVC

Valued Contributor

Re: Great News For Beatles Fans! PBS To Run Two Docs on 11/15 Back-to-Back

@IMW wrote:

I feel so ancient- I was there at the Shea Stadium concert. I was 12. You couldn't hear a thing, only screaming from fans, you could see them on a huge tv monitor.The Beatles were helicoptered out when concert was over (I believe it was at this concert). My 

wonderful father waited in the parking lot throughout the entire concert to drive me and a friend home.

iMW,

I was there, too.  I wonder if we were sitting next to each other.Smiley Frustrated  Yes, the noise was incredible but I loved every second of it.  I screamed my lungs out.  Ringo had my heart.  Talk about feeling ancient, I'm 71 and was in high school at the time.  Like your dear dad, mine, too, waited in the parking for my friends and me.  He treated us to ice cream at Jahn's on Queens Boulveard.  Do you remember Jahn's and their Kitchen Sink?  Those were the days.  My parents were very protective.  My dad said we were all insane going crazy over those guys with wild hair and making a racket that was called 'music.'  I'm so enjoying the documentary.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  Enjoy!  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I forgot to check the date and just looked and it's just over. I missed it. Rats. Maybe it's just as well because I would lose myself in the memories. 

Esteemed Contributor

wow!  The Ron Howard documentary was fab!!   What memories!  I never saw the Beatles in person,  alittle to young to have gone Go to one of their  concerts in the mid 60's.  Once I was though I was able to acquire all their albums , still have them.  

I started to really "know " the Beatles till1969,  although had cousins who had their albums so of course I knew all the songs.  Our pbs channel didn't air the other 2  had a crawl running on the bottom saying in order to watch had to be a premium member of $200.

Now Sir Paul that's who I love and have seen in concert several times!  Twice with Wings and once 4 yrs ago.  His concerts are just awesome ,  I know many here have seen him in concert and can  attest to that.  To me seeing Paul in concert is like seeing the Beatles,  the next best thing😻

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I forgot to check the date and just looked and it's just over. I missed it. Rats. Maybe it's just as well because I would lose myself in the memories. 

@libbyannE

I spaced it, too.  But the nice thing about PBS sometimes is the repetition.  I checked our local channel schedule online and both docs are going to be repeated in the middle of the night.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

wow!  The Ron Howard documentary was fab!!   What memories!  I never saw the Beatles in person,  alittle to young to have gone Go to one of their  concerts in the mid 60's.  Once I was though I was able to acquire all their albums , still have them.  

I started to really "know " the Beatles till1969,  although had cousins who had their albums so of course I knew all the songs.  Our pbs channel didn't air the other 2  had a crawl running on the bottom saying in order to watch had to be a premium member of $200.

Now Sir Paul that's who I love and have seen in concert several times!  Twice with Wings and once 4 yrs ago.  His concerts are just awesome ,  I know many here have seen him in concert and can  attest to that.  To me seeing Paul in concert is like seeing the Beatles,  the next best thing😻

@Kitty Galore  I am glad you enjoyed it. Here are my comments for you and @Beth-QVC  about both docs on PBS last night.  I'm also going to find my original thread from when I saw it at the movie theater so you can read that too.

I have to say it was waaaay better at the movie theater.  Watching it on PBS - with all the interruptions for fundraising that completely broke up the mood - was so inferior.  At the theater too there was Dolby sound (such great music!) and that bonus half hour at the end, touted as being only seen with the film at the theaters - of the Shea stadium concert.  As I said on my previous thread, I have seen Sir Paul in concert several times including recently but had never seen all four Beatles perform, and the Shea stadium footage at the end of this doc in the theater version was the closest I'll ever be to seeing all four Beatles in concert (oh, the great music!).    So to me, much as I enjoyed seeing Howard's doc  last night, it was disappointing compared to seeing it at the movies.  At the movies I had a huge smile on my face from beginning to end of the doc; not so last night with all those fundraising interruptions.

I did love the part about desegregating the Gator Bowl and that lovely African American historian's story.  Loved seeing Sigourney Weaver as a teen enjoying the concert!  

Sir Paul = oh how cute that man was in his prime! And he just cannot stay still when music is playing, either bobbing his head or moving his legs, etc. which to this day he still does in concert.  Music is in the man's DNA!

I hadn't seen the Sgt. Pepper doc and did enjoy that and now have a new appreciation for how elaborately put together and just how creative and innovative that album is.   I do prefer the early Beatles songs but still love many songs on Sgt. Pepper and the later albums (although I skip over the sitar music ones).  

For those who enjoyed the doc last night and haven't ever seen it at the movie theater, please do go if you ever have the opportunity to do so.  It's a much better experience.

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

Re: Great News For Beatles Fans! PBS To Run Two Docs on 11/15 Back-to-Back

@docsgirl

Wow, you really conjured up memories for me by mentioning Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor.  Lots of great memories, thank you for that.  🍨

Oh yeah, and the Beatles, too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  Thank you so much for your summary !  I will certainly go and see it in the theater if the opportunity ever presents itself .  I did notice the sound quality was not great ,  I enjoyed it but would have loved it the sound was better.  You are so right Paul was so cute when he was younger ,  I was so crazy about his boyish looks .  I still feel he's handsome although he is older ,  but his energy in concert is unbelievable isnt it ?  I am much younger then  He and I don't have that kind of energy !  He doesnt even take breaks !  The talent between he and John is beyond ,  there will never ever be another Beatles .  It iS a once in a lifetime phenomenon !!  I will forever love them❤️