Esteemed Contributor

Great Movie Rec—“Crossing Over”

Just saw this (Crossing Over) on one of the premium cable channels (HBO, Showtime, etc). It artfully and accurately humanizes the struggles and complexities that some folks go through as they come to the U.S. and become citizens. It’s very balanced in its approach and the acting is superb.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Great Movie Rec—“Crossing Over”

Sounds interesting. My mother and her family came to Winnipeg, Canada and then down to Minnesota from Russia. I never knew all what happened. Nothing was ever discussed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother came here in the late fifties after she married my dad who was in the US Army at the time. She never wanted to become a US citizen. Even though she married an American, that did not make her a citizen by moving here. She told me that she always felt pressured and somewhat threatened to become a US citizen, which she eventually did after many years of living here...I think it was fifteen or so years. I always sensed that she never truly felt it was something she would have done on her own. I sensed that she still felt a deep honor for her country and that she felt saddened that she had to say goodbye to it forever. At the time in history the Japanese turned their backs on the people who left their country. That must have been extremely sad and shameful for my mom. I can't imagine what she must have gone through during that time for her.

Thanks for the rec @Goldengate8361. I'd like to see it.

Honored Contributor

Crossing Over is on Showtime and On Demand.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif