Honored Contributor

Re: Gratuitous Violence in Movie

[ Edited ]

To me, violence is not "entertainment."  Something seems wrong when a society is entertained by violence.  Car chases and such don't interest me either, but I can see how they might be thrilling for some people.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

To me, violence is not "entertainment."  Something seems wrong when a society is entertained by violence.  Car chases and such don't interest me either, but I can see how they might be thrilling for some people.  

I see your point but it's pretend violence.  Just like with wrestling.  All of this is part of the Entertainment Industry in our country.  If it were "real violence" we'd have a problem.  They did do that in ancient Rome though, didn't they @ValuSkr?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I'm eager to see Hidden Figures, but if there isn't ANY swearing in that, I'm going to assume that someone missed a point or two. I 

Any group of bright African American women who were working for less pay to keep a group of dopey white men afloat professionally in that era should have been forgiven if they were portrayed swearing like sailors, as my mother used to say.

In all seriousness, I taught junior high/HS boys too long to be offended by single words, no matter what letter they start with. Torture/gore- NOT FOR ME. I have yet to watch the one about the Scottish guy who painted himself blue, first because I'd hate to line the pocket of the guy that made the film with one penny, and mostly because of the graphic depiction of the lead character's demise.

Honored Contributor

TV, movies, whatever... I can more or less handle the profanity and sex, but I can't get past too frequent scenes of too graphic violence... Honestly, writers need to re-learn how to tell an actual story and stop relying on plot devices, especially stale plot devices.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

Went to see John Wick:  Chapter 2

Wow!  I thought we were going to see an action movie for DH's Birthday date.  John Wick killed about a gazillion bad guys. I'll bet a quarter of his kills were headshots with accompanying sprays of blood. Too much blood and gore, not enough substance.

How bad is it when the car chase was the best part of the entire film? 

Sorry, Hubby, won't be seing Chapter 3, even if it is your birthday.

@pateacher

Who goes to a movie without knowing what it's about?   This was a violent movie .....  but that doesn't make the violence "gratuitous".     

Frankly, I'd never even heard of John Wick .... but just looking at the ads tells me I wouldn't enjoy the movies.  Not my thing.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I stopped going to movies that have such really not necessary graphic violence or sex, let alone profanity.  Pretty much means I don't go any more. A good story needs none of it.

@StylishLady

Although I still go to the movies, but am very very selective in my choices for the reasons you mentioned....I much prefer movies from the 30's/40's better plots and better acting....JMHO!!!

I don't need to see someone blowing another's head off and showing it in slow motion.with blood going everywhere...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I do think part of the problem is that many, many video games are quite violent, and if a movie is targeting that age group, the makers have to deliver what the potential audience thinks is entertainment, and has come to expect.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

We don't go to see movies at the theater much because of that.....I like a movie with a story and good acting

Esteemed Contributor

The gratuitous violence is the main reason I don't go to the movies anymore. The special effects may be a technological marvel, but I prefer good stories and good acting. Blowing things up and killing countless characters do not count as entertainment to me. The dark, evil atmosphere of too many films turns me off completely. These are cheap shot plots, missing any kind of creativity. Maybe my young grandson likes these video game style movies but they are not for me.

Honored Contributor

@violannHidden Figures is so great, I would say run don't walk to see it in a theater if you wish.

Fences is excellent too. Haven't seen LaLa Land. So there are several movies without violence out there. Manchester by the Sea is not violent, the storyline is very sad and depressing. Moonlight and Lion are supposed to be very good too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"