Honored Contributor

@willdob3 You are right.  Ever heard of the show "Young Pope"?  Season one has ended.  I believe it's been renewed.

People go crazy trying to understand the meaning of this show.....Ha!

Respected Contributor

This show seems determined to present marriage as a problem God inflicts on people to make them unhappy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Will he leave his faith for her?

Interesting.  At one point tonight, he says that if God answered,  why would we need faith.

Later, he says to the Archdeacon that he has prayed but God would not answer.

He doesn't need to ask God if he should have an adulterous affair with Amanda.  He already knows the answer to that.  So the question should be how God can help him resist.  I somehow doubt that is what he is asking - since that is NOT what he wants to do.  He is probably asking God why he can't do what he wants since he is such a good person and surely God wants him to be happy.  And he's not getting God's blessing in this.

He even says that the Church - not sin - is the cause of suffering - apparently because not endorsing sin makes people unhappy.  So if that's true then the policeman is unhappy not because he has destroyed his wife's happiness, but because the Church thinks he shouldn't have an affair.  Interesting view - especially since he doesn't care what the Church thinks in the first place.  So why is he unhappy then?

And why is his wife unhappy - because the Church told her she should be?

Honored Contributor

It wasn't Sidney who said that about not needing faith.

I can't think a husband is doing his wife a favor staying while he loves another. I can't find anything wrong with Amanda ending a marriage that was a mistake. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Will he leave his faith for her?

Interesting.  At one point tonight, he says that if God answered,  why would we need faith.

Later, he says to the Archdeacon that he has prayed but God would not answer.

He doesn't need to ask God if he should have an adulterous affair with Amanda.  He already knows the answer to that.  So the question should be how God can help him resist.  I somehow doubt that is what he is asking - since that is NOT what he wants to do.  He is probably asking God why he can't do what he wants since he is such a good person and surely God wants him to be happy.  And he's not getting God's blessing in this.

He even says that the Church - not sin - is the cause of suffering - apparently because not endorsing sin makes people unhappy.  So if that's true then the policeman is unhappy not because he has destroyed his wife's happiness, but because the Church thinks he shouldn't have an affair.  Interesting view - especially since he doesn't care what the Church thinks in the first place.  So why is he unhappy then?

And why is his wife unhappy - because the Church told her she should be?

The series has been dramatized to highlight and emphasize how far society and the church have come since the 1950s in several areas. What the characters are struggling with, real people in the UK struggled with then. It's a way to show younger generations (particularly in the UK of course) what their parents and grandparents lived through. It's a point in time, a patch of history. None of this is still a huge issue in the UK today.

The series has a different emphasis (for drama) than the books. The whole long, drawn out Amanda thing didn't exist in the books and she wasn't a part of his life. He married someone else and lived Happily Ever After - but that would have made for a dull TV program, so they decided to tackle 1950s social issues instead.

If there's a Series 4, they will have to look to some other type of conflict for Sydney. Clearly the whole point of the show is a crime-solving vicar - which he couldn't be if he left the church to marry (or try to marry) Amanda. So - foregone conclusion.

Leonard's journey is just getting started. They could do a lot with his character's progression.

Excellent episode.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On a completely different note -

Yes, we're supposed to hate snide, obnoxious Detective Phil. Only trouble is, I've thought he was attractive all along.  I looked him up on IMDB.

He's only 26, this is his first role out of drama school. He's a Scot born on the Isle of Skye, 6'2" and .....well...

4A6872A6-9C6A-4420-962C-B5CD66E48DFD-10098-00001BC0A252FD57.jpeg

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The whole long, drawn out Amanda thing didn't exist in the books and she wasn't a part of his life. He married someone else and lived Happily Ever After - but that would have made for a dull TV program, so they decided to tackle 1950s social issues instead.

that's one of the reasons I stopped watching, it's boring and unrealistic for the time. 

James Norton however, is not.  

My husband watches it, so I saw the last half, Leonard and the housekeeper, much better story line to  me. 

I hate when ITV or the BBC decides to apply 2017 social mores or current lifestyles to the past  in order to assuage guilt. 

Honored Contributor

a show called Remember Me was on here after Grantchester, with Michael Palin.

anyone watch, just looking for thoughts

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

I agree with jackthebear. With so much authenticity in the look of BBC productions, they often inject 2017 moral values into their plots. Last night's Grantchester episode, which was quite dark, a real downer in my opinion, was just wrong when it came to attitudes about homosexuality in the 1950s. A recent episode of Father Brown, another BBC mystery series that takes place a few years after WW2, presented modern-day attitudes about a transgender character. If they can't get it right, then the writers should create different plots.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It wasn't Sidney who said that about not needing faith.

I can't think a husband is doing his wife a favor staying while he loves another. I can't find anything wrong with Amanda ending a marriage that was a mistake. 

So then it's a perfectly good idea - then - today - whenever - to, when you become bored with your spouse and kids to look around and find someone else.  Because you just can't help falling into bed with your coworker who is attractive. You're just human after all and God certainly wants you to be happy - and if your spouse no longer does it for you, well then He absolutely thinks you should find a younger, prettier version. And if the Church doesn't agree, again, it is the Church "rules" and certainly not your own behavior that causes unhappiness.

I know that today, we don't think wedding vows actually mean anything other than I love you right now, but who knows how I will feel tomorrow.  But God had something better in mind.  This is obviously not an argument for people who don't believe in God - altho ask any woman (or man) who believed - and adhered to their vows - how they feel when their spouse finds "love" with someone else and I don't think their first inclination would be to say that God had the idea of marriage all wrong and that it's perfectly wonderful for spouses to dump each other for a better offer.