Honored Contributor

I watch Masterpiece a lot and enjoy many of the British shows but I have a lot of difficulty hearing the dialogue on this show so I lose interest quickly.

Honored Contributor

I just finished watching it.  Thanks for the reminder.  I don't see any way for him to be with the woman and her baby.  I'm not surprised he walked out.

I was surprised the head policeman (forget names) was locking lips right in the office with that young woman where everyone could see them.  Good grief!  He sure let his libido get in the way!  Ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy the show.  A Mystery murder soap with scandal. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I watch Masterpiece a lot and enjoy many of the British shows but I have a lot of difficulty hearing the dialogue on this show so I lose interest quickly.

151949:  I use close captioned for everything, especially the British shows.  I do not have a hearing problem, however, it is amazing how much dialogue you can miss without this feature.  

Honored Contributor

I worked with the Brits, Ausie and New Zealand and Canadian when I worked for the government.

I was 19 in the beginning and there was nothing wrong with my hearing.  I had trouble understanding them.  They were Wing Commanders in the Air Force.

I don't seem to have trouble understanding this show but most of the other British shows....well..forget it...I'm lost.  

Esteemed Contributor

I do enjoy Grantchester but I really like the show following it.  Tennison is the name about a female police officer still in her probationary period in the British police during the 1960's.

Respected Contributor

I use Closed Caption for a lot of the British Shows especially the ones fro Scotland, Wales and Australia.  I realized I was missing dialogue.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Not sure what to make of the show - or what the message is.

On the one hand, we see the real pain of Amanda's husband, and the policeman's wife - and the potential pain of the woman the Asst Vicar is dating.  On the other hand, we see the "struggle" the Vicar is having over what to do.

Apparently, we are meant to see the Vicar as a "good person."  He was in love with Amanda when she was free and he tried to stop her marriage.  When he realized she was unhappy in the marriage - even tho she was pregnant, he began to hope they could be together after all.

So where is God in this?  We see the Church - with its "rules" - which we seem to be meant to scorn - judgment and all that - definitely bad.

The Vicar's struggle seems not to be - God's will not mine be done - as we never actually see him asking God for direction.  But rather - Can I believe in a God who would tell me to do what I don't want to do?  Shouldn't I - as an imperfect person and a broken vessel - expect God to understand - and forgive me - as I continue on a path he would prefer I not take?  And shouldn't I remain His example to others as they struggle similarly?  Since God loves everyone, does it really matter what we do - or who we hurt - in the process of being who we are?

And we have the Archdeacon reiterating the "rules" rather than asking the Vicar - where is God in this?  What is He telling you?  How can I help you?  Would moving you away from her help?  Let us pray together for guidance.

What do others think?

@Isobel Archer

I think you are thinking too much. It is a TV show meant to entertain us. Simply sit back & enjoy... 

Respected Contributor

The policeman's girlfriend has thrown the gauntlet - I thought I was pregnant - I wasn't - but we have to prepare for the possibility.  She also tells him she wants kids.  So clearly, she's saying that she wants to get pregnant and that if they continue, she probably will and she will expect him to "do the right thing" - i.e., leave his wife and marry her.

The Vicar  has made his choice too.  As he told his friend, "it's harder with God."  So since he apparently thinks God has no power to help him and that he must do whatever he does all in his own strength, and since he is a broken vessel after all, he then preaches a sermon telling his flock to seize the day and do whatever they need to do to be "happy" because we only have this one life.  Wow.  That's a bit off theologically to say the least.

And the Assistant Vicar asked his girlfriend to marry him - not because he loves her, but because it will be "easier" for him - for now at least.

Looks like none of this will end well. 

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The policeman's girlfriend has thrown the gauntlet - I thought I was pregnant - I wasn't - but we have to prepare for the possibility.  She also tells him she wants kids.  So clearly, she's saying that she wants to get pregnant and that if they continue, she probably will and she will expect him to "do the right thing" - i.e., leave his wife and marry her.

The Vicar  has made his choice too.  As he told his friend, "it's harder with God."  So since he apparently thinks God has no power to help him and that he must do whatever he does all in his own strength, and since he is a broken vessel after all, he then preaches a sermon telling his flock to seize the day and do whatever they need to do to be "happy" because we only have this one life.  Wow.  That's a bit off theologically to say the least.

And the Assistant Vicar asked his girlfriend to marry him - not because he loves her, but because it will be "easier" for him - for now at least.

Looks like none of this will end well. 

I havent really watched before, only bits and pieces.  Last week and this week it caught my attention.  One question. Did the Ass Vicar have a relationship with a man in the past?  I thought the Vicar asked him did he feel about the lady who was after him the way he had felt about Daniel??