Respected Contributor

Well Amanda is definitely all about herself.  She asks if she can count on him or if she will have to raise the baby alone?  It's not even his baby.

She wants him to leave the church - and by that I think she means more than just leaving the priesthood.  She wants a complete disavowal by him of anything or any one who would criticize her for her behavior.

She really doesn't care what that might do to him.  It's all about her and her feelings.  So - if down the road - she meets someone else - well goodbye Sidney.

Honored Contributor

Unfair blaming Amanda. Everyone is self centered and should be. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting thoughts, @Isobel Archer and @chiclets.

I think Amanda, being a wealthy child of privilege (which Sydney is not) is just spoiled as far as getting what she wants, served to suit her; it's her "class due."

She's made all her decisions except being in love with Sydney based on keeping her due privileges and expectations. She's let Sydney off the hook for those expectations as long as he worships her and continues to sacrifice for her. Once he stops making her #1 ... She's selfish.

She's been shown to be selfish from the episode where she was introduced. And Sydney has always known she's selfish, and that she will always be her own #1 concern. Regardless of the baby, or Guy - even without them I can't see her tolerating being a vicar's wife. She'd always be trying to outdo Mrs. Elton, for those who understand the reference, in trying to "promote" Sydney to the higher echelons. She would, IMO, not make a good wife for anyone but someone like Guy, but who would allow her more freedom. Since Guy has shown a determination to change, they could actually make a go of it - IF Amanda would compromise - but compromise isn't in her nature.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I have read on these boards that Sidney marries someone else - not Amanda.  What happens to Amanda?  Does she go back to her husband who wants her back.

Respected Contributor

@culebra wrote:

I have read on these boards that Sidney marries someone else - not Amanda.  What happens to Amanda?  Does she go back to her husband who wants her back.

@culebra  in the books, he marries someone else.  He and Amanda are just friends.  The show has completely veered away from the books.  I find the show almost unwatchable these days.  Too much personal melodrama (I can't stand Amanda, and I don't even like Sydney anymore, or Geordie).  I prefer the books. 

Honored Contributor

@culebra wrote:

The plot lines of the books are very different than what has been adapted for the series. The head writer ignored what happens to Sydney in the books to go off on the Amanda tangent - which was never in the books. There never was any Sydney/Amanda romance in the books.

As far as the series, they are making it up as they go along, at this point. No one knows what the writer has in mind.

In the books, Sydney marries the German widow from series one. And when I posted that, I got a huge amount of flack for posting a Spoiler, lol. I seriously doubt the writer will revisit that - a happy home life with kids would make for a dull, unconflicted, happy Sydney - which would mean no show...zzzzzzzz. 

I'll be happy if they just leave things to Sydney & Geordie detecting.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I'm like you about posting spoilers.  I just find it difficult to discuss a show without .....well....discussing it.  People are in different stages watching shows.  One never knows what stage someone is in.

I try not to post unless the heading says "possible spoilers", but obviously I mess up and still bla bla.  I'm continuously working on doing better.

I wouldn't worry about any of this.  I hope you don't.  No one here is malicious or causes problems on purpose.

I don't see how you can talk about a show without divulging things about it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I wasn't worried about it, @Annabellethecat66. I thought it was funny that someone would assume it was a done deal on the show when I said it came from the books, which were clearly not the same storyline as the books.

Honored Contributor

While researching him and this show (I'm sure this isn't new news to some of you) but he did one show where he was totally nude.

Honored Contributor

I think they were wise to kind-of wrap up the storylines in this coming Sunday's last episode. They've made it so that IF there isn't another series, we get a sense of hope for everyone's future - as long as one doesn't insist that Sydney's only possible happiness lies in being married ASAP - to Amanda or anyone else.

I fervently hope for another series (without Amanda!), but if it doesn't happen, they aren't leaving people feeling bad about the endings they will see.