Respected Contributor

I watched tonight's episode and really liked Leonard and Geordie working together.  It's too soon to be sure about the new guy but I think I like him.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely hated the way the 4th season started.

I've read all the Grantchester books--they are excellent, and the story progresses nicely through the years.

Now the TV series has messed all that up (just because the Sidney character wants to leave the series--they should have just replaced the actor, in my opinion). 

Last week's episode presented Sidney in such a bad light (and the plot was so farfetched) that I'm relieved he's gone.

On the other hand, I love Geordie!

Esteemed Contributor

Very disappointed in Season 4 of Grantchester......i always enjoyed the show although i never got the connection of

a priest seeming to be a part time detective...............

The show was usually a old fashioned "who dunnit" mystery with some drama added and was entertaining.....Season 4 started out as others said...darker, more violence, etc.

Not sure i will stick with watching this series this season.

It seems every new or old shows are more concerned with making political statements then providing entertainment and to show diversity in every new show whether it makes sense in the storylines or not. 

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17  I agree with what you said. I thought Sidney's exit was pretty contrived to make yet another statement, but that said, I'm just glad he's gone. The character had become too needy and too flawed to be considered any sort of 'hero'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Being a Priest gave Sidney solace and retribution for what he witnessed as a soldier and provided him with adrenaline.

Geordie and Sidney had a man's friendship.  They could connect as men and not as copper and priest.  His assistance with Geordie's cases gave him the outlet he needed for his vindictive spirit, not necessarily out of love for right and wrong.

Sidney would never quite sacrifice for the sake of something else.

His departure represented the means for him to exploit his inhibitions while adjusting his Vocation.

The manner of Sidney's departure was political and out of content for Grantchester.  Not a fan of this occurrence.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the series from the beginning but this season I just gave up. The lead character is leaving and I just don’t care enough to deal with the awkward plot twists. I certainly don’t feel that way about other Masterpiece Mystery series so I shall simply watch something else.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@kelsey17  I agree with what you said. I thought Sidney's exit was pretty contrived to make yet another statement, but that said, I'm just glad he's gone. The character had become too needy and too flawed to be considered any sort of 'hero'.

Yes...i think Sydney was getting kind of obnoxious in  the last year and the first show of this season...Just hope the new Priest isn't a carbon copy.  Although James Norton was always nice to look at...haha.

Honored Contributor

I actually thought the most recent episode without Sydney, that had Geordie working with Leonard and the the introduction of the new vicar, was better than the last few that featured Sydney. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...