Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I've watched it from the beginning and I really like it.  I tend to watch more PBS now than 'regular' tv shows.  I think I'm showing my age because the PBS shows I like the best are all set in the 1950s.

Yes, the Amanda/Sidney thing was covered in the first season--in fact, it's how the first show started.  It evolved through most of that season. Even though I know that backstory, I too find that relationship at this point a little wearing.

I also like Robson Green (the detective).  And I do like James Norton (the vicar), but my favorite character is Leonard, the assistant vicar.  I find him absolutely charming, especially his back-and-forth with the housekeeper.

This season has gotten a little darker, more serious, than the first season.  They've made both Geordie and Sidney much more tormented and problematic than the first season, which concentrated more on each episode's murder mystery.  I'm curious to see how the rest of the season unfolds and whether or not there will be a third season.  I hope so.

Great recap @geezerette.  My opinion is that this season has been darker than either season one or two.  I wasn't sure if they were really going to hang Gary.  The tension between Sidney and Geordie finally culminated in a fist fight.  I'm looking forward to where they are taking this.  It has totally deviated from the books.  I always wonder if Hildegard will be back at some point.  I started out sort of liking Margaret but I think she's totally wrong for Sidney.  I'm not a fan of Amanda, either, but she is the only one who seems to know how to comfort him at this point.  On the other hand, I was glad to see him lash out at her knowing how futile their relationship is.  I can't wait for next week!

Honored Contributor

IMO this is a series where you will not at all get the appeal if you have not seen season one. The first season gave you the characters' backgrounds and history, and sets up their history with each other as well.

The writers have deliberately taken season two to a darker place where friendships and beliefs are tested and challenged. Starting with season two, you don't really understand why events and relationships are unfolding as they are - you wouldn't even truly understand why last night's episode ended as it did, other than superficially.

If interested at all, you should watch season one. For those who like Leonard, you will see how he came to be at the vicarage. For those who adore Geordie, you will find he has some...upsetting beliefs other than those shown in season 2 (reflecting 50s Britain at large).

There will definitely be a Season 3. The show is a smash in the UK. I hope Amanda finds some sort of happiness, but not with Sydney. She could never be (or truly want to be) a vicar's wife, and Sydney would not give up being a vicar to please her. Amanda needs the things that money can buy, too much.

Next season, I hope that the writers will swing back to the books with regard to Hildegarde, but the writers may feel that the show wouldn't work as drama if Sydney and Geordie were happy in their lives. They may want to keep Sydney unattached. Just please, the Amanda drama is OLD now, and dead. Move her ON.

For Leonard to find happiness while still at the vicarage would present some thorny problems in 1950s Britain and with Mrs. Maguire, but I'd love to see it happen.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

BTW - if you want to see a VERY different side of both our vicar and Mrs. Maguire (together, even!), google "Bonobo movie" and read 😈

Honored Contributor

I watch pbs, more also than other channels, love the english shows, trying to get over no more downtown abby, i have watch for a few years.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

My husband and I are desperate to find the Doctor Blake shows. Our PBS station carried it a few years ago but we have not seen it since.

Any idea where we may find it? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@motherinlaw wrote:

My husband and I are desperate to find the Doctor Blake shows. Our PBS station carried it a few years ago but we have not seen it since.

Try googling "Acorn Media." Their website might have it to stream.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Yes, I enjoy Grantchester. I'm a big fan of Robson Green (Detective Geordie Keating) and if I find him in something, I'll watch.

I'm having a really difficult time with the whole Amanda thing, though. She's terrible and I need her to move far away and never come back. I didn't recognize it last season, but her terrible husband is played by the man who plays Jasper on The Royals.

My PBS station also plays an Australian show called The Doctor Blake Mysteries, which I also absolutely love.

I watched Dr Blake and really enjoyed it but it has not shown up here on the NY area PBS stations.  maybe it will soon 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

IMO this is a series where you will not at all get the appeal if you have not seen season one. The first season gave you the characters' backgrounds and history, and sets up their history with each other as well.

The writers have deliberately taken season two to a darker place where friendships and beliefs are tested and challenged. Starting with season two, you don't really understand why events and relationships are unfolding as they are - you wouldn't even truly understand why last night's episode ended as it did, other than superficially.

If interested at all, you should watch season one. For those who like Leonard, you will see how he came to be at the vicarage. For those who adore Geordie, you will find he has some...upsetting beliefs other than those shown in season 2 (reflecting 50s Britain at large).

There will definitely be a Season 3. The show is a smash in the UK. I hope Amanda finds some sort of happiness, but not with Sydney. She could never be (or truly want to be) a vicar's wife, and Sydney would not give up being a vicar to please her. Amanda needs the things that money can buy, too much.

Next season, I hope that the writers will swing back to the books with regard to Hildegarde, but the writers may feel that the show wouldn't work as drama if Sydney and Geordie were happy in their lives. They may want to keep Sydney unattached. Just please, the Amanda drama is OLD now, and dead. Move her ON.

For Leonard to find happiness while still at the vicarage would present some thorny problems in 1950s Britain and with Mrs. Maguire, but I'd love to see it happen.

Totally agree with you last paragraph,  BBC/ITV loves to try to rewrite or atone for this issue in their current programming.  Let's not go down this road or mods will get on us.

Honored Contributor

@motherinlaw wrote:

get a VPN and watch on BBC Iplayer

ask Mr. Google about these 

Respected Contributor

Grantchester is a good series. Both lead actors are great in their roles.  The detective, Robson Green, is a very popular and successful British actor.  Green has been on many TV shows.  The Vicar was just recently on the War and Peace Mini Series.