Honored Contributor

Does anyone watch this on pbs, i have watched since last year,never seen it mentioned on here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

I started watching it this year.  It is just OK for me, but there isn't much on TV that I like or think is good-quality.  I like the detective character more than the hunky vicar.  What do you think of it?  I don't understand why the vicar is so hung up on the married woman - is her name Amanda?  Was that storyline covered last season?

Honored Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

I like it a lot. I discovered it by accident trying to find something to watch. I did see it mentioned a few weeks ago in what people were watching and a lot of others like it too.

I think they are all good actors, esp. the lead character!

edited to add-I watched it last night and it seemed like a different show-more violence, less interesting stoyline so I switched to something else.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Dilemma Meringue wrote:

I started watching it this year.  It is just OK for me, but there isn't much on TV that I like or think is good-quality.  I like the detective character more than the hunky vicar.  What do you think of it?  I don't understand why the vicar is so hung up on the married woman - is her name Amanda?  Was that storyline covered last season?

@Little Way Ditto. Just starting watching it this year. It's just OK for me too. I think the detective is more interesting than the vicar too. I don't care for Amanda; gather they were a "thing" at some point....perhaps season one.

But, I keep watching 'cause I figure there must be something I'm missing that so many others have commented they like to watch it.

Will finish out this season, but that may be it for me.

Honored Contributor

I've watched it from the beginning and I really like it.  I tend to watch more PBS now than 'regular' tv shows.  I think I'm showing my age because the PBS shows I like the best are all set in the 1950s.

Yes, the Amanda/Sidney thing was covered in the first season--in fact, it's how the first show started.  It evolved through most of that season. Even though I know that backstory, I too find that relationship at this point a little wearing.

I also like Robson Green (the detective).  And I do like James Norton (the vicar), but my favorite character is Leonard, the assistant vicar.  I find him absolutely charming, especially his back-and-forth with the housekeeper.

This season has gotten a little darker, more serious, than the first season.  They've made both Geordie and Sidney much more tormented and problematic than the first season, which concentrated more on each episode's murder mystery.  I'm curious to see how the rest of the season unfolds and whether or not there will be a third season.  I hope so.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette

Yes, ITV renewed Grantchester for season 3.  In the UK, it "crushed the competition" (to quote from the article I read), in its time slot.

Valued Contributor

Grantchester is a great show. It is darker this year than last, for sure. The relationship between Sidney and Amanda (his married friend) is very sad. They just can't get their timing right. I don't know if they will ever get together, but I am hopeful.

Robson Greene, the policeman , has been in many British police dramas. He is a great actor. He has great eyes! They are both not bad to look at, lol.

Almost anything on PBS or that comes from Britain that we can watch on Netflix is good tv. I am glad that there will be a Season 3. 

For those interested, Inspector Lewis is coming in August, Endeavour in June, and Wallendar in May.

Super Contributor

I watched Grantchester from the very beginning and even bought the books by James Runcie.  The first season was based on the first book, but the second season if very different.  There is no Syndney/Amanda romance ongoing in the books.  I really like the character of Leonard and the actor who portrays him.  PBS is my favorite to watch all the "Brit crimes"--Luther, Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyle's War, Wallander, Father Brown, Rosemary and Thyme as well as dramas like Call the Midwife, Home Fires, Mr. Selfridge, etc.  I am missing Downton Abbey and will read books by Julian Fellowes and watch episodes on DVD..

Honored Contributor

Yes, I enjoy Grantchester. I'm a big fan of Robson Green (Detective Geordie Keating) and if I find him in something, I'll watch.

I'm having a really difficult time with the whole Amanda thing, though. She's terrible and I need her to move far away and never come back. I didn't recognize it last season, but her terrible husband is played by the man who plays Jasper on The Royals.

My PBS station also plays an Australian show called The Doctor Blake Mysteries, which I also absolutely love.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

I've watched it from the beginning and I really like it.  I tend to watch more PBS now than 'regular' tv shows.  I think I'm showing my age because the PBS shows I like the best are all set in the 1950s.

Yes, the Amanda/Sidney thing was covered in the first season--in fact, it's how the first show started.  It evolved through most of that season. Even though I know that backstory, I too find that relationship at this point a little wearing.

I also like Robson Green (the detective).  And I do like James Norton (the vicar), but my favorite character is Leonard, the assistant vicar.  I find him absolutely charming, especially his back-and-forth with the housekeeper.

This season has gotten a little darker, more serious, than the first season.  They've made both Geordie and Sidney much more tormented and problematic than the first season, which concentrated more on each episode's murder mystery.  I'm curious to see how the rest of the season unfolds and whether or not there will be a third season.  I hope so.

I love Leonard. He definitely is charming. He's so quirky and I just want everything to work out for the best for him.

I actually feel like this season hasn't been as dark. Spoilers below!

Spoiler
The second episode (the school tower episode) was dark and Geordie is dealing with having been shot and Sidney betraying him, but it's still not as dark to me as last season was. I feel like Geordie getting shot and almost losing a child were much darker times. I also think last season Sidney had a darker story because of Amanda's wedding and his tryst with the jazz singer.

There are only two episodes left this season, so we'll see where things end up. I hope Amanda and her jerk husband move to New York so Sidney can get on with his own life.