Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@culebra wrote:

I have read on these boards that Sidney marries someone else - not Amanda.  What happens to Amanda?  Does she go back to her husband who wants her back.

The plot lines of the books are very different than what has been adapted for the series. The head writer ignored what happens to Sydney in the books to go off on the Amanda tangent - which was never in the books. There never was any Sydney/Amanda romance in the books.

As far as the series, they are making it up as they go along, at this point. No one knows what the writer has in mind.

In the books, Sydney marries the German widow from series one. And when I posted that, I got a huge amount of flack for posting a Spoiler, lol. I seriously doubt the writer will revisit that - a happy home life with kids would make for a dull, unconflicted, happy Sydney - which would mean no show...zzzzzzzz. 

I'll be happy if they just leave things to Sydney & Geordie detecting.

I wonder if they will revisit the book version when the series is definitely heading to its end. I think I saw where there will be another season, though it's possible that's just specuation. Either way, I hope he cuts Amanda loose once and for all. There are varying degrees of 'all about me' and sometimes some people cross the line. I've never liked the character.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

I suppose, as the saying goes, the heart wants what it wants... but I've never understood the thing with Amanda... She's not particularly likable or, to me, attractive... Frankly, I've always thought the vicar's absorption with her just made him look stupid, sort of weak-willed and possessing seriously questionable judgment... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

It is fascinating to see couples that have problems and you wonder what the attraction was in the first place.  I'm sure God wonders too.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

While researching him and this show (I'm sure this isn't new news to some of you) but he did one show where he was totally nude.

And he starred in it WITH Mrs. Maguire.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I suppose, as the saying goes, the heart wants what it wants... but I've never understood the thing with Amanda... She's not particularly likable or, to me, attractive... Frankly, I've always thought the vicar's absorption with her just made him look stupid, sort of weak-willed and possessing seriously questionable judgment... 

Smiley Wink

A magnificent obsession I suppose--they defy logic.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@culebra wrote:

I have read on these boards that Sidney marries someone else - not Amanda.  What happens to Amanda?  Does she go back to her husband who wants her back.

The plot lines of the books are very different than what has been adapted for the series. The head writer ignored what happens to Sydney in the books to go off on the Amanda tangent - which was never in the books. There never was any Sydney/Amanda romance in the books.

As far as the series, they are making it up as they go along, at this point. No one knows what the writer has in mind.

In the books, Sydney marries the German widow from series one. And when I posted that, I got a huge amount of flack for posting a Spoiler, lol. I seriously doubt the writer will revisit that - a happy home life with kids would make for a dull, unconflicted, happy Sydney - which would mean no show...zzzzzzzz. 

I'll be happy if they just leave things to Sydney & Geordie detecting.

I wonder if they will revisit the book version when the series is definitely heading to its end. I think I saw where there will be another season, though it's possible that's just specuation. Either way, I hope he cuts Amanda loose once and for all. There are varying degrees of 'all about me' and sometimes some people cross the line. I've never liked the character.

@stevieb, I just checked online end of last week, and I'm also hooked in to the Grantchester FB page - no official word yet.

Interesting idea To bring the German widow back in a 'final' season. I'd actually love that. She and Sydney had genuine feelings for each other and she would make a great vicar's wife, and mother. Everyone would love her (except for her being German). The only reason she left was because she wanted Sydney all to herself, no doubts, no what-ifs, etc.

I tend to agree with you about Sydney mooning over an inappropriate (because of class difference) old almost-love.  Sydney has been seeking old "might-have-beens" that the war interrupted even though deep down he knows it'll never work (looking at it with UK 1955 eyes, not American 2017 eyes). I think it's part of the after-effects of the war for him - part and parcel with the drinking, smoking, one-night stands - just floundering in the postwar world. Both men and women would have gone through that.

Although I haven't loved all of what they've done in this series so far, I will always applaud the British willingness to portray realistic, flawed characters people can relate to just by virtue of their having flaws, rather than being plaster saints.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

IMG_1056.JPG

Honored Contributor

Mercy! The last time I checked, months ago, the film was not available in the US - but it is now, on Amazon video, and FREE if you have Prime!

Guess what I'll be doing later....

It's called Bonobo.

Respected Contributor

After seeing the finale last night, I think Grantchester has come to an end.  They tied up story lines in a pat way.  

Honored Contributor

It may as well come to an end; it's no longer worth watching. Last night's episode was nothing but soul searching sap and a lot of cringe worthy weeping.