Esteemed Contributor

Re: *** Grantchester on PBS ~~ Sunday, July 17, 2022 ***

@stevieb wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I'm not a prude..... it I don't care for the fact that the writers made Will a "dandy" with women. I mean, geeze, he's a Vicar after all. 

Well, there's that and my gripe is that it's almost an instant replay of Sidney... I mean, Geordie and the vicar du jour seem always to be hanging out in jazz bars so the vicar can find a woman... It's redundant... Been down that road and quite honestly, it wore thin with the last vicar...

Yes!! Exactly! Why did the writers do this? I liked Jodie and Kathy happily married....not sitting, drinking in jazz bars every night. 

Valued Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Toots711 wrote:

C2EC4E86-BA5E-430B-8113-962F0A8B48EF.jpeg

Al Weaver is a wonderful actor

@jackthebear  I agree!  Al Weaver portrays "Leonard" perfectly!

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear  Leonard helped to expose the abuses of the prison chaplain and as such was granted an early relase from his six month sentence. Not as clear about Geordie, but toward the end of last season, he was having some sort of PTSD stuff going on related to his being held captice in a Burmese prison, He was also binge drinking and at one point nearly became violent with Kathy, who said they needed time apart. Don't know if there was more to it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Not stellar, but the last episode was better than I anticipated. It was at least entertaining and not so slow moving. It appears they've put the skids on Will becoming the second coming of Sidney and if they stick to that, I'll be glad of it. His quickly falling in love with the married woman, wanting to marry her, expecting her to leave her husband  and so on was just ridiculous. Glad he ended if, assuming it stays that way. Another boozy, sex starved vicar was not the way to go. Besides, I didn't care for the woman. Wonder if there's a future there for him with Kathy's sister. Do enjoy the scenes between Leonard and Sylvia.

Honored Contributor

The women wasn't married, just engaged. There was nothing appealing about her, wasn't even attractive, so that Will was so taken with her lacked credibility.. 

Honored Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Toots711 wrote:

C2EC4E86-BA5E-430B-8113-962F0A8B48EF.jpeg

Al Weaver is a wonderful actor

@jackthebear  I agree!  Al Weaver portrays "Leonard" perfectly!

have seen him in other things and the only thing i recognized was his voice 

Honored Contributor

I have loved Leonard from the beginning.  He's my favorite character.

I agree that the episodes with Will are leaving much to be desired.  The Sydney character could pull off that personality, but they should have gone with someone completely different for the next vicar.  I don't like the way they've taken Geordie either.  

I still watch, but the show no longer holds my interest like it used to.  I just don't like the storylines as well as the first and even second seasons.  I have to rewatch last night's episode because I fell asleep.

Respected Contributor

I loved the series when Sidney was on it.  I didn't watch the following season but some reruns were on over the weekend and I had the tv on while I was doing laundry.  I could have sworn I heard an update on Sidney - something about moving closer to family.   Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  Have there been any mentions of his character since he left?  I wish they would bring him back.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The women wasn't married, just engaged. There was nothing appealing about her, wasn't even attractive, so that Will was so taken with her lacked credibility.. 

@occasionalrain Thanks for the correction, I thought she was married to the jerk policeman. Either way, a married or engaged woman ought not to be trolling the bar scene... I didn't think she was particularly attractive or even appealing either...

Honored Contributor

Add me to the Leonard fan club. His sweet friendship with Sylvia is one of the highights of the show.