Honored Contributor

Re: *** Grantchester on PBS ~ Sunday, August 14 ~ Season Finale ***

[ Edited ]

Given a good bit of what they've been putting out there the past couple of years, yes, the finale was enjoyable. That said, these seasons are really too short to develop much in the way of storylines. So much of what they do feels contrived because they have to fit it into such a short time frame. Wham, Will was in love with whats-her-name after one dance... Wham, then he wasn't... Wham, he marries Cathy's sister... Cathy and Geordie are at odds... Wham, all is good... Leonard opens his tea shop... Wham, now he wants to be a social worker... Come on folks, you can do better than this...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb  I agree.  These seasons - for Grantchester and for British shows generally - are too short.  They pack a lot into each episode.  

On another note, ITV confirmed Grantchester will return for another season .No spoilers here, but ITV dropped a few hints you can find with a simple search.  No word on whether Elloria Torchia (Maya) will be back (I hope not).  Charlotte Ritchie (Bonnie) will return, and hopefully survives the season.  You'll recall she was a nurse on Call The Midwife for a few seasons and died shortly after her marriage.

Respected Contributor

This is not a "spolier" as I read it on the PBS website.  Next season a tragedy will happen to Will.  I can only imagine that something either happens to his new wife or her son.  Can't they just let Will be happy for a change?  

Honored Contributor

He got stabbed this season, some would classify that a tragedy. We'll have to wait to find out what befalls him next season.

Respected Contributor

I also hope they get rid of Maya.  Cannot stand that actress she is just horrid.  Cannot act, is not attractive at all (cannot she her with Will, no way) she has no charm, no personality, nothing.  Who the heck cast her?

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals 

I've wondered that too. Maybe she was meant to be disliked.

Valued Contributor

Hmmm , can you imagine the other actresses who applied if the chose her !

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped watching after James Norton left. I just couldn't accept the "new guy" and missed looking at Mr Norton each week.