Respected Contributor

Re: Grantchester: an update on my thoughts

As I've posted before, I LOVE this show. Each episode gets better and better. . .I wish this season wasn't so brief!

Esteemed Contributor

They have a lot to wrap up next week in the finale.  I think this season has only been four episodes, right?  That's all I can count.

IMO Sydney's exit was too contrived.  Unbelievable.  And it actually made me dislike him.  He's like an immature basement-dwelling young adult who doesn't have a clue about what he wants.

LOVE Geordie! 

And doubt Will wanted to talk of his father's death because I think the wife will claim accident.  The truth would be scandalous (killed himself so he wouldn't stand for murder.)

Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Grantchester is another excellent series in all ways.  The fact it brought out all the feelings for the characters as mentioned in this forum proves it is a worth while watch and the acting superb!!!  No surprise there as it is the norm for Masterpiece theater and mysteries

Respected Contributor

The memorable moment of the show was when Geordie said to Will  'you have a gong'.  The expression on Geordie's face and the way he said it was impressionable.

Geordie may get himself into some difficulty with Cathy's situation. She can not handle it, nor can she contain Geordie. Her manager is no push over.

Will does find definition to his life within the Church.

Ah Leonard, he is so resentful and bitter and unhappy.  He believes his actions were justifiable and morally right without really seeing himself as a hypocrite. He feels everyone has taken advantage of him, and no one appreciates his efforts.

His actions toward Mrs.C were spiteful and maybe somewhat deserving, but not right concerning the position he has in the Church. As a man to man, I do think he deserved that punch from Will, but as a Vicar Will should not have done it.

It was an interesting show.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't think I'd continue to watch, but have to admit, I will. Poor Leonard. People act strange and aggressive when they think they have no power. Leonard will come to his senses. Should be interesting how this will be written. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I find it a hot mess. That vicar is unappealing and the whole business with the father was over the top nonsense.

Honored Contributor

I was tempted to watch the show, but I never did.  I remember seeing the first Vicar on an advertisement for the show.  He was hot looking.  Later on I heard he got married to one of the villagers.  Then I thought I bet they hired that actor because he was so good looking. He will have a will he or won't he  affair.  Well he did.  And now they have a not so cute looking actor in the role.  It was like they found someone that looked like their story line.  LOL.  No romance this time, all mystery.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always enjoyed Grantchester.  Yes, last season Sydney was on a downward spiral.  However, writing him out in such a non-plausible way didn't do justice.

Leonard, well, yes, you did deserve that punch!!!  Calling in the Arch Deacon before having all the facts was childish and spiteful.  Leonard is battling his own demons, of course.  Instead of owning his own behavior, he chose to get back at Will.

Loved the way Mrs C stepped up for Cathy!!!

And, as always, I love the occasional Dickens sighting!!!

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed the season more than I expected, without Sidney.

Also, I read that James Norton (Sidney) will be in the new Little Women movie that is coming out soon.  He is playing the role of John Brooke (Laurie's tutor.)