Respected Contributor

Grantchester: an update on my thoughts

When I first learned that the character of Sidney would be leaving this show, I was dismayed: how could it possibly continue? I wondered why the actor playing Sidney could not just be replaced, keeping the integrity of the books already in print.

However, the way Sidney was portrayed in that first new episode (constantly smoking/drinking/being distracted) made me start to lose interest.

'

Well now, I've completely turned around. I've already said I love Geordie, and now the new vicar has won me over. Last night's episode was brilliantly done.

I feel for Geordie's Cathy; I feel for Leonard and his problems.

I'm grateful for the handful of episodes that will be still presented this fourth season.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grantchester: an update on my thoughts

Thanks for the update. I thought the last episode with 

Sydney leaving was great. However, the new vicar

left me cold. The best part of the series for me was the realistic relationship between Geordie, who I also love,

and Sydney.

Your review was so positive maybe I’ll give it another 

shot.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't started the new season yet, but I do look forward to someone new in that role.  I was really tired of the Sidney and Amanda saga.

Respected Contributor

I have your original opinion.  I gave up watching after Sydney left.  I tuned in for a second and saw that the new vicar was also accompanying the detective and that just seemed wrong to me.  Sydney's character fit right in with helping the detective.  The new one, not so much.  I also thought the end of the story for Sydney was way out there.  I was wishing they would have had him stay with the baby's mother.  Even if he had to leave the show, it would leave an opening for a possible new show in the future.  Didn't work out that way.

Respected Contributor

I will watch it because PBS on Sunday is better than anything else to watch.  Still, the new vicar doesn't spend time getting to know his new duties and meeting his parishioners?  He just goes off with Geordie like Sidney did--totally implausible to me.

I am tired of sour puss Mrs. C.  Am glad she left.  Cathy can quit her job in the store and keep house for the guys in the vicarage.  Two problems solved.  LOL

Respected Contributor

We love Grantchester and didn't think we would like it at all without Sydney but we are still really enjoying it. It did take a few minutes though to get use to the changes.

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

When I first learned that the character of Sidney would be leaving this show, I was dismayed: how could it possibly continue? I wondered why the actor playing Sidney could not just be replaced, keeping the integrity of the books already in print.

However, the way Sidney was portrayed in that first new episode (constantly smoking/drinking/being distracted) made me start to lose interest.

'

Well now, I've completely turned around. I've already said I love Geordie, and now the new vicar has won me over. Last night's episode was brilliantly done.

I feel for Geordie's Cathy; I feel for Leonard and his problems.

I'm grateful for the handful of episodes that will be still presented this fourth season.

I will always miss Sidney.  However, I agree that the new Vicar is doing a great job after seeing recent episodes.  He is also easy on the eyes.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I thought Sidney had simply become too flawed... Instead of maturing and coping, he seemed to be coming more and more unglued. Meanwhile, they've breathed wonderful new life into a show that, for, me, was fading. The new vicar and the focus on the rest of the cast have me interested again. Just sorry the season is coming to a close. I will say, if they have the new vicar fighting too many personal demons, it'll be like Sidney all over again... 

I enjoy Leonard and have always found him sympathetic but was glad Will knocked his sanctimonious butt for a loop on the most recent episode... Of course, he too is battling his personal demons, but he was being a complete prig...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I wasn't sure that Grantchester would be able to continue without Sidney, but this season has been pretty good so far.  I was surprised when the announcement said next week was the Season Finale already!  However, I have been annoyed at the lack of realism in the story:  Sidney has a relationship with Amanda for many years, but refuses to give up his job for her, then meets another woman and immediately leaves the church for her?  And, why wouldn't Will tell the bishop and Leonard that his father died, to excuse his absence?  I know it's just tv, but it should be more realistic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:

I wasn't sure that Grantchester would be able to continue without Sidney, but this season has been pretty good so far.  I was surprised when the announcement said next week was the Season Finale already!  However, I have been annoyed at the lack of realism in the story:  Sidney has a relationship with Amanda for many years, but refuses to give up his job for her, then meets another woman and immediately leaves the church for her?  And, why wouldn't Will tell the bishop and Leonard that his father died, to excuse his absence?  I know it's just tv, but it should be more realistic.

I agree. Sidney's exit was sort of ridiculous and, it seems, more to make some sort of statement than to give a meaningful and reasonable exit to a long-term character... It would have made far more sense for him to decide to simply move on or to have him reunite with Amanda... The wham-bam he's in love with someone brand new just didn't fly...

As for Will not explaining his actions, he really wasn't given the chance and, under the circumstances, might simply not have felt like talking about it then and there. My guess is it'll be explained in the finale or next season.

Yes, not happy the finale is so soon, but I guess they opted to bring the new vicar in near the end of the current season to get him established rather than bring in a brand new 'lead' at the start of a new season, assuming some folks might not tune in... Smart, actually, but I find I'm liking the show much better these days and would like to see a few more episodes...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...