Respected Contributor

Goodbye Columbus on Amazon Prime

Showing this week.  This was on my watch list.

Every character is so genuine. Bittersweet romance in more innocent times.  College girl Ali McGraw is Brenda, wearing her Villager fashions. So many outfits could be worn today. Richard Benjamin, Neil, was so young. No ambition (which irked Brenda's parents)  he is a Librarian at a public library. Was that the Bronx libe?  Cool interior.

Look for Susan Lucci at 46:00 roughly. She is wearing a purple dress and Richard Benjamin hands her a drink glass.  i *think* it is SL because she is so very tiny. Her face is in shadow so not 100% sure.

According to some reviews, Jaclyn Smith makes an appearance in the wedding scene.  Haven't seen her so i'm watching again tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Goodbye Columbus on Amazon Prime

@CatsyCline  Thanks for the heads up.  I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember that I liked it a lot.

Honored Contributor

The mention of Villager takes me back.  Villager clothing and Capezio flats -- yes, we loved those top-of-the-line fashions then.

I'm in the mood for my coming-of-age era.  Thank you so much for posting, miimosa.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t seen the movie in many years. I would like to see it again.

Honored Contributor

WOW - have not seen this movie in YEARS!

Honored Contributor

OMG, one of my all time faves, not seen it in years. I have contacted TCM several times to air it, but they always say it is not in their inventory. McGraw, Benjamin and Klugman were sheer magic together. i even love the theme song by the Association. Too bad I dont have Amazon Prime!!

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

The mention of Villager takes me back.  Villager clothing and Capezio flats -- yes, we loved those top-of-the-line fashions then.

I'm in the mood for my coming-of-age era.  Thank you so much for posting, miimosa.

Were Ali's shoes Capezio or Pappagallo??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shel,

Not having seen this movie since it was first released, I have no idea which shoe brand she was wearing, but what I do remember is that the BIG DEAL shoes when I was in my last years of high school and first years of college were Capezio flats.  Yes, Pappagallo was a desirable shoe brand, too.  I grew up in a small town that has Hood College, and the local merchants catered to the desires of the Hood girls, who seemed to prefer Capezios at that time. 

Remember, Audrey Hepburn was big then.  

Audrey Hepburn Shoe Style

Respected Contributor

Ali wore a pair of what looked like taupe mary jane style sling backs in her campus scenes.  Her other shoes were tennis shoes and flat loafers. did not notice Capezios but i'm not aware of all the styles. i had a baby blue pair, they were soft leather like ballet flats.

In the last scene at the Boston cheap hotel Ali wore a red reefer coat and a brown glen plaid dress..a classic look. In Manhattan she wore what looked like a cream suit and carried a small cream satchel. the Manhattan street scenes showed everyone  so nicely dressed.

Jaclyn Smith and Susan Lucci are in the credits as "Wedding Guest(s)".  was not able to identify them...

oh, and the yarn hair ties!  remember those?   i had them in lots of colors and even made my guitar strap our of yarn ties and a wire hanger. My guitar teacher was a recent college grad and looked just like Ali McGraw

i just love this movie!

[Snap733.jpg]

Honored Contributor

Goldie, you are from Frederick???