Honored Contributor

Re: Good TCM Movie Day Oct. 28th

Now TCMs is playing a movie called Desire Me.  So far, it's unfamiliar to me.  Don't know how I could have missed any Greer Garson movie.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

"Desire Me" was considered a misstep in Greer's career and led to her inevitable departure from MGM.

She famously did not get along well with Mitchum (quite different personalities) and the film was a financial flop.  Greer's glory days at the studio were over but it is always delightful to see her on screen!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It took me about 15 minutes to get into it but it was pretty good although I doubt I'd see it again.  The guy that claimed to be Garson's husband's friend was not likeable at all.  Mitchum came in very late in the film.  The scene with the fight was irritatingly foggy.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Regular Contributor

I love "The Enchanted Cottage". It's one of my all time favorite movies.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can I add some tidbits about Greer Garson? I am sure folks know she married the actor who played her son in "Mrs. Miniver". I was always astounded by that one! Anyway, her last husband of many years was an oil magnate who lived in Dallas, Texas. That is where she was living when she passed away. On the SMU campus in Dallas,  there is a beautiful theater for the performing arts named after her. I live in the mid cities area of DFW and I found out she was a very generous contributor to the university. I have always enjoyed her movies and I love looking for some that I may have missed. 

I feel the same way about Jean Arthur! I am constantly on the look out for her movies! 

Esteemed Contributor

For Greer fans, I highly recommend this, the only complete biography for her:

51cAO+XiKiL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg