Respected Contributor

Good TCM Movie Day Oct. 28th

I just wanted to give a heads-up on movies on TCM today. The Enchanted Cottage is on in a few minutes and is followed by Random Harvest. TCM movie dramas started this morning and continue this evening. I've read how some posters really like the 2 movies I've mentioned. I hope you enjoy.

Valued Contributor

Re: Good TCM Movie Day Oct. 28th

Thanks for the heads-up @Desert Lily . I just turned on the TV so I can enjoy these movies while I do some work on the computer. "Random Harvest" and "Mrs. Miniver" are probably my two favorite Greer Garson movies. (In Random Harvest I just wish Ronald Coleman's character could have fully regained his memory a few years earlier, LOL. My hope was that they could start a family together).

Dorothy McGuire was perfectly cast in The Enchanted Cottage. She and Robert Young had a surprising sweet and tender chemistry. Herbert Marshall is outstanding as always (as was Mildred Natwick - loved her in "The Quiet Man.")

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose I ADORE "Mrs. Miniver". I have it on DVR and watch it about twice a year. I love that it gives so much insight as to the upper  middle class and working class lives in war time England. Love every minute and I always cry at the end!

Respected Contributor

I love the Enchanted Cottage. It was on not too awful long ago. I just saw in a magazine they want to make a new E.C. movie starring Colin Firth as the uncle. Think I'll stick with the original.

Respected Contributor

My bad. Not thinking of a remake of the right movie. I was thinking of the Secret Garden which also stars Herbert Marshall.

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily ~ I’m watching Enchanted Cottage now, and Random Harvest in on next!  Double header!  Love both of these classics.  Thanks @Desert Lily !  Wishing you and everyone a great cinema viewing day!

Trusted Contributor

I agree on a great movie day! Weather is cold, rainy and darn right chilly and I love all of these movies! Started taping with the Bette Davis movie this morning...Winter Meeting...another favorite BD movie that somehow got under the radar.....my dvr is recording all day! With such wonderful selections, I am good for a couple of day's worth of movie watching! 

Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire did indeed have amazing chemistry in the Enchanted Cottage. Same with Random Harvest and Ronald Colman and Greer Garson. 

Ronald Colman is terrific in another movie....The Talk of The Town, with Jean Arthur and Cary Grant. Watch for it! It is a great movie and the story line just reels you in.....in a good way! 

Honored Contributor

Woo, woo,  I'm on a TCM roll this afternoon.  I watched Enchanted Cottage and just finished watching Random Harvest.  That one had a happy teary ending.

Every time I see Random Harvest, I wonder why Greer Garson didn't tell Ronald Coleman who she was?  Maybe not at first but at some point.  Maybe I just have a big mouth but I would have said something.  Of course, it's a movie, I know.  They needed the drama, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I loved The Enchanted Cottage , i thought about  it long after i watched it.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa , one message that I received from the movie is how focused people are on exterior appearances rather than the inside of a person which is more important.  Even spring Byington, the mother seemed to feel sorry for Robert Young, her son because he was disfigured, less than perfect although he served/sacrificed his perfectness in a war.

Can see how the movie can make one think about orslves, how we unthinkingly do that everyday.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)