Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

5.0 down 11 percent from last year. They may want to rethink the political part or amp up tv and movie quality. I think actors have every right to give their view just as I have every right to boycott. I just don’t get why they would not try to be more inclusive to the people you want to go buy tickets?

Unfortunately the powers that be truly believe they are enlightnening the other 'half', next year nobody will be watching and that suits me just fine.

Honored Contributor

Re: Golden Globes ratings

[ Edited ]

Regular Contributor

Someone mentioned on another thread the the GGs won the ratings for its time slot. I don't think these types of shows are going to disappear anytime soon.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

the show didn't have to be political to have ratings go down.  Seth Meyers promised in advance that it would be "politically charged" which probably turned off more than a few who are disenchanted with the industry after the news of the last few months. they decided not to tune in. since  the industry fell off its moral high horse , people are less open to hearing the obligatory "scold" delivered when someone receives an award. 

these shows used to be entertaining - now there is a never-ending string of them, covering the same old ground - and making the industry look more than a bit self-congratulatory. 

and, economically, a little self-awareness would be helpful as movie ticket sales are down, down, down along with the awards show ratings.  none of this is playing in Peoria.

I haven't been in a movie theatre in over a decade, I don't think I'm missing much.

Honored Contributor

The Nielsen ratings were indeed down from last year, but the OP did not summarize the findings correctly or completely.  Down 11% in the 18-49 demographic that advertisers love, but down 5% in overall viewership.

However, the 2018 Golden Globes were the most watched award show since the 2017 Oscars, which aired last February.  So with all the award shows having lower ratings over the past year, the Golden Globes actually marked an uptick in award show viewership.  

Read past the headlines. Don't for a minute believe the rhectoric coming from a select few is what the entire country thinks.

Regular Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

The Nielsen ratings were indeed down from last year, but the OP did not summarize the findings correctly or completely.  Down 11% in the 18-49 demographic that advertisers love, but down 5% in overall viewership.

However, the 2018 Golden Globes were the most watched award show since the 2017 Oscars, which aired last February.  So with all the award shows having lower ratings over the past year, the Golden Globes actually marked an uptick in award show viewership.  

Read past the headlines. Don't for a minute believe the rhectoric coming from a select few is what the entire country thinks.

Thanks so much for all the info in context @Caaareful Shopper. Very much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Who/where did anyone say specifically that sexual abuse is political?

I was speaking about the speeches if words were thrown in there (we all know what we are talking about).

Very few females have not encountered some kind of abuse (be it mental or physical), so to say anything that they'd be for it, well.....it's (I'm sorry) but downright stupid.  I don't use that word much......

Anyway, can't we just agree to disagree about this dumb show, it's (the show, get that...the show) is so insignificant.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper

Drat those pesky details.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Who/where did anyone say specifically that sexual abuse is political?

I was speaking about the speeches if words were thrown in there (we all know what we are talking about).

Very few females have not encountered some kind of abuse (be it mental or physical), so to say anything that they'd be for it, well.....it's (I'm sorry) but downright stupid.  I don't use that word much......

Anyway, can't we just agree to disagree about this dumb show, it's (the show, get that...the show) is so insignificant.

@Annabellethecat66

You were "speaking about the speeches, if words were thrown in there".

What does this even mean?

Regular Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

You were "speaking about the speeches, if words were thrown in there".

What does this even mean?

I wanted to ask the same thing. But I just can't anymore with the word salads and the frightening logic.