Respected Contributor

Re: Golden Girls VS Designing Women

Love both casts, but prefer "Designing Women."  Recently saw the episode where Julia ran for office.  She blew her chances during the debate, when she lost her temper.  Anthony tried to tell her that it turns off voters when the candidate appears too mean, even if the facts are on their side, but did she listen??!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me Golden Girls was meh. I LOVE Designing Women and watch rerurns on Antenna TV though the film quality isn't good as it's so old.

Loved Delta Burke and Meschach Taylor!  His talent and comedy were wonderful.

Loved the episode when Anthony ran for Homecoming Queen in junior college and

Suzanne encouraged him and was so delighted when he won!

In later episodes I enjoyed Sheryl Lee Ralph as Etienne Toussaint. She was hoot. When Julia asked her if she spoke any more French she just laughed and said "On no I only meet and greet in it."

Honored Contributor

Never watched Designing Women but still enjoy my Golden Girls. 

Respected Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

I have heard people say they don't like shows such as King of Queens or Everybody Loves Raymond because the characters are all so mean and rude to each other, but yet everyone seems to love Golden Girls.  

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but those are some of my favorite shows - I'll take both of them over GG and DW any day. Woman Happy

Same here @LavernLuvsShoes . I think the reason I never cared for Golden Girls was that I disliked the Dorothy character so much! 

Respected Contributor

Definetely prefer GG, I never watched designing women much.  I also love Kind of Queens and Everybody loves Raymond, I still watch all three of these.

I agree, why dont they make these kind of sitcoms anymore, I think a lot of the content wouldn't fly maybe but they could tone some of that down.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA if you are interested in watching it and get TVLand, it might be on on Sunday mornings.  Five hours straight by me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The shows actually had very little in common. Both featured female casts, ostensibly in the south, but that's where it ended. Designing women were all supposedly southern women, not so with the Golden Girls. The brands of comedy were very different, as were the key characters. To me, each had value in its own right and both were better than pretty much any of the comedies on network TV in recent memory.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy  I still love King of Queens and Kevin James. Never liked GG.

Honored Contributor

I must admit

I don’t like Golden Girls. 🫣 I also found them annoying except Betty White.

I did watch the early seasons of Designing Women.
Honored Contributor

Everybody Loves Raymond I could still watch, even now. Loved that show.

I still love the early seasons of Roseanne.