Honored Contributor

Re: Going to the movies - how things have changed

The last time I went to a movie  it was to see titanic.i don't like sitting in others breathing space so I prefer to watch at home.I will be going soon though as friends have convinced me it is time.I dont know many stars so I don't care which movie they choose....Just hope that it isn't packed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: the ones who took their shoes off and made lots of noise, and the baby crying--I would've said something to the manager.

Our theatre has staff walking through the aisles to address any disturbances.  Before the movie starts, they make it clear that people may be removed for distracting others.  As a result, I can't recall any problems at all at this theatre.

I'd much rather stay home than go out.  We have a large flatscreen TV, surround sound, and comfy furniture in our upstairs den.  Unless it's a movie I've just got to see (which is pretty rare these days), I wait for it to come out on DVD or streaming services.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not a movie theater-goer because I don't find either the seating in a regular theater or the sound system to my comfort. Add to that, very, very few films these days interest me, and I want some reviews before I plunk down ticket & popcorn money.

I'd much rather rent/stream at home where I can sit or lie comfy cozy, eat what I want, pause as needed for potty breaks, and if necessary, use the FF button. I don't "need" to see anything so badly that I must rush to go opening week. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@wishmoon

Thank you for your kind words.  Actually the rest of the theater in both cases consisted of wonderful, quiet and attentive people – it was only the couple with the baby in one instance and the 3 people next to me in the other that disrupted the experience for all the rest of the people. 

As for pricing these days….I/we generally go weekdays in the late morning when the theaters are mostly empty and the prices are the lowest.  At that time tickets for seniors 65+ run in the range of $5.50 to $6.00.  After noon the price goes up for matinee shows to the $7.50 to $8.00 range and for evening shows it runs around $12.00.  I never buy concessions, but a small popcorn and a small beverage starts at about $8.00 and rapidly goes up, based on size.  A simple trip to the movies is very expensive for a young family these days!  Buying a home-viewing of a movie through cable is expensive for one person (maybe $16.00) but  a bargain for a family or group.  For me/us it is just a good way of getting out of the house affordably – it is easy to get in a rut and stay home too much.  We have a “fun fund” – we put every $5.00 we get in change in the “fun fun” and we use that for movies or other such events that come up that get us out & about.  Fives are for fun at our house!

Many of the theaters in this area (most are AMC) have now converted to reserved seating.  I don’t like reserved seating because I would rather pick my seat once I am actually in the theater and can see what works best for me for that showing.   I wear bifocals, so even the slope of the floor can change how I have to hold my head for the length of the movie.  I tend to prefer back corners, on the aisle; there is often one or two seats in the last row on the aisle that have no one in front of them…just the steps…that is where I prefer to be seated.  However, I would change in a heartbeat if it is crowed where I want to be or if it looks like a noisy group is around.  I also prefer being able to move to another seating area during the movie if there is disruption near the seat I selected.  You can’t do that as easily with the new reserved seating.

Thank you so much for your response, Havarti. Think it'll probably be a long time until I go again. I hope your next trip to the movies will be much more enjoyable. Thanks, again.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my theatre has staff walking around during the movie to make sure people act appropriately.

When I go to the movies it isn't very crowded.  My friend and I are going to go see 50 shades on Monday around 1:00PM then to lunner (i.e. lunch and dinner).

Everyone will be at work.  The problem though is they don't turn down the volume and there aren't enough bodies to absorb the sound, so I usually have to go to the manager and ask him/her to turn down the sound.

Often there are maybe 5 or 6 people in the whole theatre...

I once went to the movies where I was the only person in it.  It was a huge theatre (old and hadn't been converted).  It was a scary movie and had Goldie Hawn in it (that was a long time ago).

I remember looking around and thinking....I could get killed here and they wouldn't find me til the movie is over.  Ha!

A few times back I went by myself and my ring went flying off in the dark.  I had to find the manager who got the usher and dang if they didn't find the ring.  It was one of those very thin thumb rings from OrPaz.  I loved it.

Honored Contributor

This is different but you know what a pain I am...How's about I repeat one of my movie stories....this is true if you've read it skip it.

So when my husband was alive we went to the movies often.  We were all sitting and watching one of the Star War movies.  I always kept a handful of Vitamins in my pants pocket.  It was an exciting part of the movie and I reached in and got the handful of vitamins and swallowed them (know where this is going........)?

As soon as I swallowed, I felt something just a tiny bit sharp and knew what I'd done.....I'd swallowed my pierced earrings....They were solid gold round balls.  About 7 meters or whatever (think about pearls).

I continued drinking and eating...Ha!  Takes a lot to get me to stop eating popcorn.

When I got home I called my family Dr and he told me what to do to make sure they come out (celephane over the toilet).  Ugh!  He said I HAD to make sure they came out!

A few days later .....(well, you know).  I put them in boiling water for a few minutes.  To this day my youngest daughter has them and I guess she wears them.  

Hey!  Don't you go judging me....they were gold and my husband gave them to me....I'm kidding you but she does wear them and that is a true story.

Now you know what a ding dong I am......Hope I made you guys smile.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate "reserved seating".  THe LAst time I went to,the movies was a 4:30 showing on a Wed to see LaLa Land.  MY friend and I were told that the only seats left were in the 4th row.  THis seemed a little strange for a 4:30 showing on a Wed but whatever.  BY the time we walked in the theater was dark and the advertisements had begun.  I was not happy with the seats but suffered through this rather long movie.  WHen the movie ended and the lights came on we got up leave.  THat theater was not even 25% full.  THere were,plenty of empty seats that we could have had.  THis was at a Alamo Drafthouse.  I seriously doubt I will be returning there anytime soon if they cannot straighten out whatever issues they have with their "reserved seating"

Honored Contributor

I'm lucky, I can go to early weekday matinees. It can get crowded on bargain days but it's still better than weekends. The theater I frequent converted to reserved seating, with the faux leather recliners etc. I find that actually cuts down on how much people nearby can annoy you. There are fewer seats and much more space between rows. It also has a bar, but the weekends would be the worst problem for that as far as people drinking too much.

There are still the texters, the talkers, etc. If they were ruining my enjoyment enough I would go complain to a manager. I still like going to a theater to see a movie. Some movies are just made for the big screen too, and will never be the same at home. It's definitely true that some people behave as if they are at home, and no rules of civility seem to apply to them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I'm not a movie theater-goer because I don't find either the seating in a regular theater or the sound system to my comfort. Add to that, very, very few films these days interest me, and I want some reviews before I plunk down ticket & popcorn money.

I'd much rather rent/stream at home where I can sit or lie comfy cozy, eat what I want, pause as needed for potty breaks, and if necessary, use the FF button. I don't "need" to see anything so badly that I must rush to go opening week. 

@Moonchilde

I agree with you!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

This is what I am talking about!  Lack of respect and courtesy --- 2 little words that cause big problems!!!!!! 

DH and I have not gone to the movies in eons.  This was one thing that we used to love doing and brought us so much enjoyment.  Neither one of us is in good health and so our choices of things to do recreationally speaking, are kind of limited.  We aren't wealthy either, so picking out a movie that we would both like, and sharing a popcorn was a big event for us!  

The last few times we went we had bad experiences because of the lack of respect and courtesy of other patrons!  And not just an isolated incident by one person.  

Too many complaints to list but some of them:  

Patrons coming in to the movies late and then coming in loudly and making you miss key elements of the show after you had made the effort to come in early.

A theater being farily empty but then others cramming in right on top of you.

Patrons sitting behind you and thumping your seats and kicking your seats continually.

Patrons talking loudly through the show to each other.

Bringing underage children in and not making them behave.  Children talking loudly, crying, throwing fits, jumping up and down in their seats, etc.

Patrons continually crawling over you not once (understandly people do have to use restrooms at times) but several times.

Cell phone use.  Turn the darn things off and keep them off during the show!!!!

Patrons coming to the show when sick.  Continually coughing, coughing, coughing, and sneezing.

More but this will give you an idea of why we just stay home and watch movies after they come out later!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin