Respected Contributor

I watched Godfather III which is now called  the Godfather Coda:  The Death of Michael Corleone.  It's available on Amazon Prime.

I found it to be very enjoyable.......far better than the original version.  A more cohesive storyline, it has a new beginning and ending and Coppola re-edited it and added some new scenes that had been left out.  My opinion of Sofia Coppola as Mary has not softened with time but she is a fabulous director.

For those of you who would be interested I think you would find it enjoyable as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Godfather III......Revised!

I actually enjoyed the first version.  I have no idea how to obtain Amazon Prime.  I am sure there is a cost.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Didn't they "soften" the ending because people can't deal with anything that harsh now?  I heard something to that effect but I'm not positive that was their point.  Maybe the reviewer wasn't correct with that remark.

Enlighten me.  If that is true, I'd say: grow up. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner In the original, Michael dies at the end and the camera goes to Connie alluding to the fact that she is now head of the family.

In the new version, Michael hands everything over to Vincent and retreats to a life of guilt that he now has to live with.  Alone with a crushing guilt and no redemption.

No violent ending.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Sooner In the original, Michael dies at the end and the camera goes to Connie alluding to the fact that she is now head of the family.

In the new version, Michael hands everything over to Vincent and retreats to a life of guilt that he now has to live with.  Alone with a crushing guilt and no redemption.

No violent ending.

@Somertime So now I'm confused.  What is the point?

Honored Contributor

i may be one of the few that actually enjoyed the ORIGINAL godfather part 3......and it ended as they all did pretty much.......death and overwhelming sadness.

i will be watching this new version.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

i don't understand remaking a 30year old movie, because people didn't like the ending. they should never have released the movie if the ending was so controversial. Gangsters lived and died a violent life, they don't get do-overs.

Honored Contributor

Sounds suspiciously revisionist.

I have watched The Godfather and its sequel multiple times.  I can't say I've watched the third film as many.

The ending was one of the few things I liked about it.

And now it's somehow different?

Are we going to change the ending of The Wizard of Oz next?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

i don't understand remaking a 30year old movie, because people didn't like the ending. they should never have released the movie if the ending was so controversial. Gangsters lived and died a violent life, they don't get do-overs.

@10sluvr It's frightening when people start to rewrite history because they don't like it and can't deal with truth and the fact that it isn't a perfect world of unicorns and fairy princesses and happily ever after.

To me that is scary, sad, and indicative of our country.  And it is what has gotten the world in a lot of trouble many times.  If you don't look at reality and not flinch but do something about it, things only get worse.