@Johnnyeager wrote:

Here's who Glenn lost to in her first 6 nominations

1982 Garp;  Jessica Lange, Tootsie

1983 The Big Chill;  Linda Hunt, Year of Living Dangerously

1984 The Natural;  Peggy Ashcroft, Passage to India

1987 Fatal Attraction;  Cher, Moonstruck

1988 Dangerous Liaisons;  Jodie Foster, The Accused

2011 Albert Nobbs;  Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

I feel like she should have definitely won for The Big Chill, I can see Moonstruck with it being Cher's 1st big film the academy choosing her over Glenn, but I still think she was phenomenal in Fatal Attraction.......I remember reading about all of the research that she did for that role too.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Glenn Close and Deborah Kerr

@kaydee50 wrote:

Two great actresses who have not received the recognition they deserve.  I actually have greater respect for people who have been nominated numerous times, e.g., Peter O'Toole, without winning than I do for these people who were lucky enough to get a good role that they made the most of.  For example, whatever happened to Jennifer Lawrence???  Has she made any significant movies since her Oscar win??  Who will be remembered longer?  Just my opinion.

@kaydee50 . I have heard them talk about an Oscar Curse. Once you win Best Actress/Actor, it is like you re cursed and never get any great roles after. Look at Adrien Brody, you hardly ever hear about him anymore..There are some that win that still make films of course, but not necessarily good films or good roles... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

Two great actresses who have not received the recognition they deserve.  I actually have greater respect for people who have been nominated numerous times, e.g., Peter O'Toole, without winning than I do for these people who were lucky enough to get a good role that they made the most of. 

@kaydee50 

O'Toole

Eight nominations.

When he didn't win for The Lion in Winter, I began to look at the Academy with a jaundiced eye.

My Favorite Year was another favorite and again he didn't win.

But I have to consider the competition that year.

Ben Kingsley - Gandhi

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie

Jack Lemmon - Missing

Paul Newman - The Verdict

Peter O'Toole - My Favorite Year

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee  My Favorite Year is one of my favorite PO movies.  He was great in it.  But his competition were impressive also especially Dustin, IMO.  Kingsley although a good actor, got the right role and made the most of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

I'm shocked Glenn Close has never won an Oscar.  She's been in so many good movies.

@Bri369   I think she should have at least been nominated for Cookie's Fortune as best actress.

Honored Contributor

She had a very small role in The Natural; I'm not sure I'd give it to her for that film.

Honored Contributor

@just bee

My pick was Paul Newman in The Verdict.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@just bee

My pick was Paul Newman in The Verdict.

@bikerbabe 

One of my favorite films and the one that made me really appreciate Paul Newman.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Two great actresses who have not received the recognition they deserve.  I actually have greater respect for people who have been nominated numerous times, e.g., Peter O'Toole, without winning than I do for these people who were lucky enough to get a good role that they made the most of. 

@kaydee50 

O'Toole

Eight nominations.

When he didn't win for The Lion in Winter, I began to look at the Academy with a jaundiced eye.

My Favorite Year was another favorite and again he didn't win.

But I have to consider the competition that year.

Ben Kingsley - Gandhi

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie

Jack Lemmon - Missing

Paul Newman - The Verdict

Peter O'Toole - My Favorite Year

@just bee  This is soooooo freaky. I was just thinking about your posts, not 5 minutes ago and then I see this one!

As usual, right on target🎯

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

For me there is no comparison between the acting by Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction and Cher in Moonstruck.  None.  Close got robbed that year.   

Of course I hated Moonstruck and don't like Cher so that may color my opinion some but still Glenn Close should have won in a landslide.