Esteemed Contributor

Glenn Close and Deborah Kerr

hqdefault.jpg

Do you recall that in 1994 Glenn Close presented Deborah Kerr with an honorary Oscar?

For many years Deborah held the record among actresses for most competitive nominations with no win: 6.

Glenn now holds that record, with 7 nominations and no win.  Amy Adams now has 6 winless tries.

Deborah's 6 were all as Best Actress, while Glenn has 4 Best Actress and 3 Supporting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Glenn Close and Deborah Kerr

I didn’t realize Glenn Close has never won an Oscar.

Reminds me of  Susan Lucci with her 19 Emmy nominations before finally winning.

Honored Contributor

So interesting.  It's an honor that the late Deborah Kerr would probably be glad to surrender...

I'm surprised "Oscar" overlooked her for so long.  There are so many great Kerr performances etched in my mind:  my favorite, the formidable young nun in "Black Narcissus",  the neurotic daughter of a hideously domineering mother in "Separate Tables",  the increasingly horrified governess in "The Innocents".

Loved her in "The Chalk Garden" too.  Admittedly the film is a bit (enjoyably) hokey, but Deborah Kerr as the companion to a disturbed girl, with a hidden past of her own, is terrific...

Honored Contributor

I can think of at least two or three roles that Glenn should have won for..

Fatal Attraction for sure

Jagged Edge

The Big Chill

She is so talented.....I felt so bad for her, I thought for sure she had it this time..... 

Esteemed Contributor

For Glenn, I would have chosen her nominated roles in "The World According to Garp" or "Dangerous Liaisons".

For Deborah, "Separate Tables", one of my favorite films, or "Black Narcissus", for which she was not nominated.

garp.jpgDL.jpg

ST.jpgBN.jpg

Honored Contributor

Two great actresses who have not received the recognition they deserve.  I actually have greater respect for people who have been nominated numerous times, e.g., Peter O'Toole, without winning than I do for these people who were lucky enough to get a good role that they made the most of.  For example, whatever happened to Jennifer Lawrence???  Has she made any significant movies since her Oscar win??  Who will be remembered longer?  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I'm shocked Glenn Close has never won an Oscar.  She's been in so many good movies.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Two great actresses who have not received the recognition they deserve.  I actually have greater respect for people who have been nominated numerous times, e.g., Peter O'Toole, without winning than I do for these people who were lucky enough to get a good role that they made the most of.  For example, whatever happened to Jennifer Lawrence???  Has she made any significant movies since her Oscar win??  Who will be remembered longer?  Just my opinion.

You know who I always think of when this subject comes up?  Adrian Brody. 

You just never hear of him anymore.  He was in some things, but nothing exceptional.  I always wonder if maybe it's his film choices.  It's as though he peaked too soon, or just that he can never have a role that was as rich and full and demanding as the one in The Pianist.

It's just odd.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's who Glenn lost to in her first 6 nominations

1982 Garp;  Jessica Lange, Tootsie

1983 The Big Chill;  Linda Hunt, Year of Living Dangerously

1984 The Natural;  Peggy Ashcroft, Passage to India

1987 Fatal Attraction;  Cher, Moonstruck

1988 Dangerous Liaisons;  Jodie Foster, The Accused

2011 Albert Nobbs;  Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyeagerWell, at least she lost to some very good actresses and not one hit wonders.