Regular Contributor

Re: Gilded Age on HBO

[ Edited ]

Louisa Jacobson who plays Marian Brook is Meryl Streep's daughter

Trusted Contributor

Just watched, and really like it. Cynthia Nixon is doing a great job.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gilded Age on HBO

[ Edited ]

Watched the 1st episode. Costumes and setting are beautiful .  Surprised that they have Stanford White as a character  , even though he  was influential  regarding NY architecture  . Stanford White  had a seedy  background with young women  ,  esp Evelyn Nesbit  "the girl on the velvet swing". Book entitled " American Eve " by Paula Uruburu .  Stanford White  was ultimately murdered  at Madison Square Theatre . Many different characters , however  typical movie /series of our time which aims to meet all quotas .

Trusted Contributor

@Katrinka23 wrote:

Louisa Jacobson who plays Marian Brook is Meryl Streep's daughter

I just read this last night,  didn't realize it because of the different last name like the older two daughters.  I thought she was very good and very pretty like the other daughters.  That is a very talented family.

Regular Contributor
I was also curious about Taissa Farmiga who plays the Russell daughter. I thought she might be Vera Farmiga's daughter but it turns out she is Vera's younger sister. They look alike
Super Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't have HBO but it's hard for me to imagine Christine Baranski as a "Violet Crawley" kind of character.  She doesn't seem "classy" enough, for lack of a better word.  The problem may be that I know her mainly from "Cybill."

While watching this, I kept thinking of Christine Baransky as Leonard's mother in Big Bang Theory.  I feel she was miscast in the role on The Gilded Age.  

Super Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I set it to record, but then I decided to delete it before I watched. Maybe I'll go back and watch a couple of episodes.

They have been repeating the first episode constantly throughout the week on the various HBO channels.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved Downton Abbey so I watched Gilded Age. So far it's all gorgeous clothes, sumptuous surroundings, and b|tch¥ women. I find very little to like or admire about any of the characters. That's not a good way to attract viewers. Downton certainly had its share of nasty people but there were also good characters, sympathetic, complex folks upstairs and downstairs. I'll stick with this because there aren't all that many episodes and I think it's fair to give it a little more time. 

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I loved Downton Abbey so I watched Gilded Age. So far it's all gorgeous clothes, sumptuous surroundings, and b|tch¥ women. I find very little to like or admire about any of the characters. That's not a good way to attract viewers. Downton certainly had its share of nasty people but there were also good characters, sympathetic, complex folks upstairs and downstairs. I'll stick with this because there aren't all that many episodes and I think it's fair to give it a little more time. 

i like most of the characters, except Mr. and Mrs. Russell and the catty inner circle society women. I think the head butler is the voice of reason, among the staff. I think it's a good mini series-not a lot of competition on TV, these days.

Trusted Contributor

@bayflwc wrote:

I've watched the first two episodes and am enjoying it so far.  Given that it is written and produced by Julian Fellowes, who did Downton Abbey and Belgravia, I would think the writing and the accuracy of the period will be spot on.

I was a bit surprised by the casting of Christine Baranski and Cynthia Nixon, but was not disappointed by their performances.  I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

What was Belgravia?