Honored Contributor

Re: Getting bored with "This is us"....

@NickNackwrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

I can understand, as I sometimes get bored with a show and as soon as I hit that wall I'm OUT.   Sometimes I'm watching something and it seems fine until one second that it loses me and I check out.  I've had that happen with so many shows over the years.  Smiley Happy

I still like this show and think it's pretty well done.   But I didn't get caught up anguishing over how Jack died and all that stuff.  I just watch the show as it goes.  

There is a large thread here about this show that used to be a fun thread but then it seemed like threadcrapping took over and it's just a big bash fest.  Now, I discuss the show in places other than this board where you don't have to deal with people who hate it like red-hot hatred, yet keep watching and complaining.  hehe - yeah, it's like that there now.

I know exactly what you mean @chickenbutt.  Those people have ruined that thread for me.  I don't understand why they're still watching the show when they feel that way about it.  If they've quit watching the show I don't understand why they post on that thread either.

So if last year you loved the show and this year you've been struggling and posting about that on the thread you're "threadcrapping?"  Seriously, @chickenbutt, that's a thing?  It's a word I've never heard before and hope I never hear again.  Not praising the show week after week is spreading "negativism?"

@stevieband I have not been enjoying the show for a while.  We left the show and left the thread.  We struggled with the show, that's a legitimate thing to post about. 

I've been back there only to post about the ratings which someone who knows nothing about them argued with me about, to correct her with the facts that the show has audience with the first show and even more with the second post-Super Bowl.

There is ONE poster there who no matter what anyone says to her repeats the same stuff back over and over.  Stuff no one else agrees with or signs onto.

I'm taking this personally since it's obviously directed at me among others.  I'm gone, others who don't like the show are gone, the ratings reflect that, the thread has shrunk with the ratings, is that what you're really objecting to? 

Because I've lurked there to see what's going on and there's only people left there who watch the show.  

@beach-mom, you know I loved what you did with the thread.  I've lurked there to see what's going on on the show and I see there are only people left who do watch it.  I'm sorry so many people had problems with it and stopped watching and you put so much energy into the thread and it's kind of a ghost town there because people had legit problems with the show, reflected in its falling ratings.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

I can understand, as I sometimes get bored with a show and as soon as I hit that wall I'm OUT.   Sometimes I'm watching something and it seems fine until one second that it loses me and I check out.  I've had that happen with so many shows over the years.  Smiley Happy

I still like this show and think it's pretty well done.   But I didn't get caught up anguishing over how Jack died and all that stuff.  I just watch the show as it goes.  

There is a large thread here about this show that used to be a fun thread but then it seemed like threadcrapping took over and it's just a big bash fest.  Now, I discuss the show in places other than this board where you don't have to deal with people who hate it like red-hot hatred, yet keep watching and complaining.  hehe - yeah, it's like that there now.

I know exactly what you mean @chickenbutt.  Those people have ruined that thread for me.  I don't understand why they're still watching the show when they feel that way about it.  If they've quit watching the show I don't understand why they post on that thread either.

So if last year you loved the show and this year you've been struggling and posting about that on the thread you're "threadcrapping?"  Seriously, @chickenbutt, that's a thing?  It's a word I've never heard before and hope I never hear again.  Not praising the show week after week is spreading "negativism?"

@stevieband I have not been enjoying the show for a while.  We left the show and left the thread.  We struggled with the show, that's a legitimate thing to post about. 

I've been back there only to post about the ratings which someone who knows nothing about them argued with me about, to correct her with the facts that the show has audience with the first show and even more with the second post-Super Bowl.

There is ONE poster there who no matter what anyone says to her repeats the same stuff back over and over.  Stuff no one else agrees with or signs onto.

I'm taking this personally since it's obviously directed at me among others.  I'm gone, others who don't like the show are gone, the ratings reflect that, the thread has shrunk with the ratings, is that what you're really objecting to? 

Because I've lurked there to see what's going on and there's only people left there who watch the show.  

@beach-mom, you know I loved what you did with the thread.  I've lurked there to see what's going on on the show and I see there are only people left who do watch it.  I'm sorry so many people had problems with it and stopped watching and you put so much energy into the thread and it's kind of a ghost town there because people had legit problems with the show, reflected in its falling ratings.

@LoriLori  I just wanted to say that you are absolutely NOT one of the people that I meant had ruined that thread for me.  There are two people that I specifically can think of--the one that you mentioned and one other person.  They post negative things every single week.  I am interested in reading what you post about the ratings for the most part.  I think I'm going to have to search for Facebook fan pages.  I've never done that with a show.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

@LoriLori  I just wanted to say that you are absolutely NOT one of the people that I meant had ruined that thread for me.  There are two people that I specifically can think of--the one that you mentioned and one other person.  They post negative things every single week.  I am interested in reading what you post about the ratings for the most part.  I think I'm going to have to search for Facebook fan pages.  I've never done that with a show.

@NickNack, thank you so much for that because reading the post, as you could tell, I thought it absolutely was directed at me (as well as others).  So I really appreciate you telling me that!

Honored Contributor

@sunalawrote:

Wow, I'm so sorry to read all this negativism about This is Us. I haven't stopped loving this show since the first episode.

Those of you who think now that Jack is dead, the show will change, do you realize that he's been dead for a very long time? Even though he's being shown as a younger man, he's still dead. They will continue to have flashbacks of their younger lives with Jack. That's what I love so much about this show. They go back and forth and you keep peeling off more layers of their lives to reveal what's beneath.

I have absolute faith in these writers. I believe they know exactly what they're doing, and won't succumb to cheap theatrics.

That being said, I hope Kevin doesn't get back with Sophie. It's time he leaves her alone and finds a new love in his life.

To those of you who still have positive thoughts of the show and enjoy reading others who feel the same, try the Facebook page "This is Us Fans."  Lots of positive discussions, although there are also negatives. It's very well run and not much (or any) snark.

@sunalaITA! The show starts off that Jack is dead we all knew that when we started watching the show.  I think the writers are doing an excellent job with the show.  I love it and always look forward to the next week.  I like when they go back and help you realize why that person is acting the way they are. Like someone posted it's better than watching those reality shows with the Kardashins etc... I could care less about them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNack, thank you so much for that because reading the post, as you could tell, I thought it absolutely was directed at me (as well as others).  So I really appreciate you telling me that!

@LoriLori    I thought it was directed at me also which in most instances I would take in stride; however, I enjoy @NickNack's posts so I would feel badly if I had spoiled the thread for her. Then there's that one poster -  she seems to get her kicks from yanking others' chains.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tiquewrote:

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@LoriLoriwrote:

@LoriLori    I thought it was directed at me also which in most instances I would take in stride; however, I enjoy @NickNack's posts so I would feel badly if I had spoiled the thread for her. Then there's that one poster -  she seems to get her kicks from yanking others' chains.

@Tique  Your posts to that thread don't bother me at all.  You rarely post on it as I recall.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLoriwrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

Well, for anyone referring to me... the last thing I posted on the thread was in response to someone's diatribe about how Kate was too good for Toby... I posted one line specifically about Kate and had nothing to say about the show itself, which I no longer watch... As far as it goes, any thread on a public forum about a television show is going to garner both supportive and critical responses. If that 'ruins' a thread for anyone, maybe they need to look at why... People discussing a show, both pro and con, shouldn't ruin anything, unless one only wants to participate in a love-fest on behalf of a television show, for heaven's sake, which wouldn't seem very realistic.

As for the assessment someone else made about 'red-hot' hatred, that's a bit much. Speaking only for myself, I came not to like the show very much, disliked the show runner's incessant and somewhat manipulative efforts to sell me his product a good bit, and grew weary of the cast consistently telling anyone who would listen how 'special' the show is, but I'll reserve red-hot hatred for very few things and then only things that really matter. At the end of the day, a television show really doesn't matter. All that said, I did find the level of absorption some seemed to have with a set of fictional characters a bit curious and over the top...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I never liked the show from the beginning.  I think I watched about two episodes and then I was done with it.  Just not for me.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLoriwrote:

@LoriLori - You're so sweet! I miss you, and I really have learned a lot from you! I like the skepticism you bring, and you are never "negative" or hurtful in you discussions. Many times we agree to disagree. My best friend and I are like that! (((HUGS)))

As for the comments here about the thread itself, I started it for fun. I don't consider myself "obsessed" with the show; I really don't have time for that. It's a fun diversion for me.

As I posted before, I was one of the original "sleuthers" on The Bachelor. In that capacity, I met one of the assistant producers on the show, who happened to know one of my friends. I had fun with that too, and I learned how the show really worked. Of course this was all before Reality Steve! Smiley Wink

I don't mind the back and forth, and I certainly don't mind anyone who disagrees with the way a character is being portrayed or who comments on an actor or actress on the show. I find it interesting.

As for those who post the negative comments over and over, I tend to ignore them. When I see certain names, I have a feeling what I will be reading - if I want to.

So I will continue to post on the "spoiler" thread. It's fun for me. Come join me if you like, or not! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom, thanks.  Your thread mostly is what is great about these forums.  Civilized conversation with different viewpoints.  That one person, regular posters know to ignore, hopefully newbs figure it out fast.   I miss you (hugs!) but I'm lurking, know that.

And I don't care what anyone's politics is, if they love him, hate him, it's so frustrating that everyone on this forum is so aggressive about these things, I just want to let THOSE INTERESTED know that:

Sterling K. Brown is hosting SNL this week

If this turns into an SNL bash-fest I won't be surprised but I'll be rolling my eyes endlessly.