Honored Contributor

Re: Getting bored with "This is us"....

@AuntGwrote:

My opinion is that viewership will drop. I'd give it a four year run.

@AuntG, it already has.  Someone on the original thread argued with me that the point of following the Super Bowl was to gain new viewers.  I corrected her that it's about the much higher price of the commercials and she continued to argue...Ratings dropped after the Super Bowl episode.  And dropped again this week.  

Lower ratings for This Is Us are still great ratings but I'm out after Jack died and I believe based on my professional instincts the same thing common sense has told you -- this show has nowhere to go but down.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm ready for something happy to happen on the show and for the  positive folks not to get skewered by the suffering folks. (Randall, Miguel, Toby try to keep it positive). Someone needs a breakthrough. A bit wrenching. I'd like writers to work it out next season that Kevin pulls it together, gets back with his ex and starts acting more like Jack.

I agree with comments about having addictive personalities in the family. It affects entire family in different ways. Lays right there at the surface.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I said once Jack died the show would lose steam and I guess I was correct. Without Jack the show just won't have the same "legs".

as far as the kids go doesn't anyone see it .... They can't live up to Jacks perfection. That's why they have issues. No one could. None of the kids could live up to Jack and Rebecca's perfect life. They are all struggling with it, trying but can't do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLoriwrote:

@AuntGwrote:

My opinion is that viewership will drop. I'd give it a four year run.

@AuntG, it already has.  Someone on the original thread argued with me that the point of following the Super Bowl was to gain new viewers.  I corrected her that it's about the much higher price of the commercials and she continued to argue...Ratings dropped after the Super Bowl episode.  And dropped again this week.  

Lower ratings for This Is Us are still great ratings but I'm out after Jack died and I believe based on my professional instincts the same thing common sense has told you -- this show has nowhere to go but down.

That's been my assessment. It peaked early and the huge buildup they tried to give it, all the spin and then all the teasers and spoilers leading up to Jack's demise, might just have hastened it's downward spiral. They clearly got the ad dollars while the getting was good. I began losing interest last year and, at this point, have none... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's still on my DVR and I still haven't watched it.  I started then I saw what looked like Kevin going to the 'dark side' and I stopped.

There are so many terrible things right now in the world I just didn't want to see someone go on a big drunk and then regret it.

It just seems like they rehash the same things over and over.  The boyfriend feels left out every week and yada.

I know people keep saying it shouldn't bother me but it does that he slaps on a fat suit every day to film this show.  Why does he need one?  It just seems dumb.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately there is a rumored plot line involving Jacks brother who served with him in Vietnam. Frankly I'm not interested in Jacks brother. I'm interested in Jack. And now that Jack has passed away it seems the show won't be able to sustain itself. For the life of me I don't know why the writers let Jack die. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

It's still on my DVR and I still haven't watched it.  I started then I saw what looked like Kevin going to the 'dark side' and I stopped.

There are so many terrible things right now in the world I just didn't want to see someone go on a big drunk and then regret it.

It just seems like they rehash the same things over and over.  The boyfriend feels left out every week and yada.

I know people keep saying it shouldn't bother me but it does that he slaps on a fat suit every day to film this show.  Why does he need one?  It just seems dumb.

@Annabellethecat66, agree with everything but the fat suit.  I'm guessing they're going to have Toby lose weight as part of the story.  I won't be watching so you can let me know LOL.  But that's an explanation that makes sense, and as he does they can put him in smaller and smaller fat suits and then he can emerge his own thin self.

BTW did you get your emails back, pal?  Hope so!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reeverwrote:

Unfortunately there is a rumored plot line involving Jacks brother who served with him in Vietnam. Frankly I'm not interested in Jacks brother. I'm interested in Jack. And now that Jack has passed away it seems the show won't be able to sustain itself. For the life of me I don't know why the writers let Jack die. 

@Reever   Jack was dead from the day the show started.  We always knew that.  I don't understand why you keep watching when the only people on the show you like are Jack and the young Rebecca.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Nope, never did get the emails back.  About TIS, I've read over and over that he'll eventually loose the weight.

I like realism when possible (I know it's a TV show).

It ALMOST rates up there with Bold and Beautiful after several years of this woman playing a model, etc.  they decided they needed a transgender storyline and immediately made her transgender!  It came out of nowhere.  Instead of developing the storyline a little and introducing a REAL transgender.  Why not show some of the angst they go through.......

My point is it should be played by a REAL transgender.  It's hard for them to find jobs as it is and this would have been a great opportunity to show and help people REALLY understand better.  I really believe most people ridicule and hate out of ignorance, not because they are bad people but they genuinely have no idea what the individual is (or has) gone through.  We all KNOW how hard it is to loose even 1 lb,   Why not show (over the length of the show) the struggles.  Instead, she's the one doing all the struggling and them showing it.  Are Females that blind they can't see how it's all put on them in the media to loose the weight?  

When was the last time you heard a male (on TV or in person) say, "My butt is just too big.  I must loose weight?"

I mean I keep reading (true or not) that eventually (and more to your point) SHE is supposed to eventually loose the weight, why not have a REAL heavyweight male and have HIM go through the real deal too!  I guarantee you much of the public have no idea he is really thin!

I guess to sum it all up...maybe sounding cynical...(sorry) but there's so much 'fakeness' everywhere, I feel like when it is possible to show some 'realness' (and it might HELP better understanding), it should be done.  

Good grief!  Listen to me Lori...I'm such a pain in the neck!  Sorry!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, sorry about the emails.  Soooo sorry.

ITA with everything you said!  You are absolutely not a PITA, and there are plenty around here.  But here's the thing:  there's a lot of talk that they wanted her to lose weight, and she couldn't.  So with Toby when he lost the weight I get it that they put him in a fat suit so they can show him taking it off, maybe show his struggle, something so relatable. 

They can't show it with her since she's packing on more pounds, not taking them off.  If they had taken a chance with Toby they'd be stuck with two fat people and no one losing weight.  Do you see what I mean?  Not sure I'm expressing myself that well.