Honored Contributor

Getting On -- One show remaining

I kept meaning to post this, and now there is only one show left!

Has anyone been watcing this show?  I will be sorry to see it go.  It is so funny, silly, sad, irreverent, bawdy, etc.  Laurie Metcalf is one of the lead actors.  Niecy Nash is another.  

Laurie is a doctor and Niecy is a nurse in a kind of hospital type/nursing facility for elders who are pretty ill.  Sounds grim, but it is so zany, and silly.  

I didn't think I would like it at first, but it really grew on me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting On -- One show remaining

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 I watched this show from the beginning and will also miss it. This show managed to merge the lives of the hospital staff with the lives of the patients. It did more in 30 minutes and a limited run than a lot of hour-long shows that have been on for years.

So long Getting On. Job well done. 

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

@Tique

How true!  You described it perfectly!  I thought it was brilliant, really.  So different.  I guess you could call it a bittersweet show!  Growing old and having many health problems is not fun -- but really, not every minute is sadness and drama and tragedy.  And the people who care for the aging --- are real people.  They are serious, funny, goofy, compassionate, uncaring --- they have their own set of problems to deal with also. And the actors were just awesome.  My husband and I are already missing it!!!  

Honored Contributor

I've really enjoyed this show, also.  I didn't know there was only one episode left, though.  Smiley Sad

I did know that this was going to be the last season. I sure was sorry to hear that.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I kept meaning to post this, and now there is only one show left!

Has anyone been watcing this show?  I will be sorry to see it go.  It is so funny, silly, sad, irreverent, bawdy, etc.  Laurie Metcalf is one of the lead actors.  Niecy Nash is another.  

Laurie is a doctor and Niecy is a nurse in a kind of hospital type/nursing facility for elders who are pretty ill.  Sounds grim, but it is so zany, and silly.  

I didn't think I would like it at first, but it really grew on me.  

I only saw the first season I think and I loved it but didn't realize it was back.  What network is showing it? 

Honored Contributor

Greenhouse - I believe it's on HBO.

Just checked my 'To Do' list and, yes, it's HBO  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What did everyone think of the last episode? I was sad!!!!  I kind of teared up.  I am really going to miss this show.  I thought the lady singing was Janice Ian and when checking the credits, it was!!!!  

Honored Contributor

I watched the final episode last night.  It was definitely a strange one, but then it's been a very strange show.  Smiley Happy

The thing with the microwave fire - I didn't quite get that because, initially, I thought she let her ring slip off into the cup on purpose.   Then I wasn't sure.  But then, in a scene not long after that, the ring was back on her finger.

I remember early on thinking that the Laurie Metcalf (love her!) character was the most dispicable.  But the Alex Borstein character was pretty horrible!  Love Niecy Nash and remember there was one scene where I was giving her the Emmy.  Smiley Happy

The voice!  I kept thinking who was that voice?  I slow-mo'd through the credits to see that it was Janis Ian!  Loved her.  I just looked her up, curious as to her age at this point, and she's only 64, so they aged her up a bit for the role.   what a voice!  

The other lady - I kept thinking 'wow, that kind of looks like Rita Moreno (also a big fan of her!) but, nah - couldn't be.  Yup, that was Rita Moreno!

Honored Contributor

Hmmmmmm. The last episode. I watched it late Sunday night and  I didn't care for it. Too over the top for me. I almost wished it had ended with the memorial service for Ms Birdie. 

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

Hi Tique!   Oh yeah, definitely over the top - but then, that's what this show has been all along.  I never expected any heartwarming ending to it, to tell the truth.  

I'll admit that I was kind of ticked off that Dr James (Jenna James - how hilarious is that!) ended up giving her the kidney.    Maybe that sounds mean but all the stuff she did to get there, ON PURPOSE, needing a kidney transplant,  and she could have turned it around - really bad character!

But, it was a fun and bizarre show from beginning to end so I guess they stayed true to that.  Smiley Happy