Honored Contributor

wrote:

Cats are crazy little critters. I typically keep their water dish out in the family room so they don't drop cat food in the water dish. Yesterday I decided that made me more work than I needed so I moved it in right alongside their food dishes so I could reach it more easily. Callie is refusing to drink out of it there. Instead she's been trying to drink out of my 20 gallon aquarium in the living room, but has been unsuccessful due to the fact that the water level had dropped over the last three weeks. So, to keep her from turning to dust, I just had to drag over two and a half gallons of water (on my crutches) to top off the fish tank so she could drink out of that, instead of her more conveniently placed water dish. Fun.

@gardenman  Years ago, one of my rescue cats kept refusing every type of cat food I placed in front of her.  She began to lose weight, so in this case, I think this cat would have starved, lol.  Finally, she liked Fancy Feast, so I had to buy the expensive food for this one cat.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Cats are crazy little critters. I typically keep their water dish out in the family room so they don't drop cat food in the water dish. Yesterday I decided that made me more work than I needed so I moved it in right alongside their food dishes so I could reach it more easily. Callie is refusing to drink out of it there. Instead she's been trying to drink out of my 20 gallon aquarium in the living room, but has been unsuccessful due to the fact that the water level had dropped over the last three weeks. So, to keep her from turning to dust, I just had to drag over two and a half gallons of water (on my crutches) to top off the fish tank so she could drink out of that, instead of her more conveniently placed water dish. Fun.

@gardenman  Years ago, one of my rescue cats kept refusing every type of cat food I placed in front of her.  She began to lose weight, so in this case, I think this cat would have starved, lol.  Finally, she liked Fancy Feast, so I had to buy the expensive food for this one cat.

Yeah, they can be quirky. This is the same water dish, just moved to a more convenient location for me while on the crutches, and she's avoiding it like it's poisoned. She sneaks up to eat her food without ever taking her eyes off the water bowl in case it tries something. I'm not sure what she's expecting it to do, but she's very suspicious of it. Anyway, I've got her drinking out of the fish tank again so she won't get too dehydrated. She's a bit quirky.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Gardenman,

You are a walking (on crutches) miracle!  You have my admiration....your stamina amazes me!!  A lesser man would have given up!!  WOW!!  Did I miss the post where you explain how the break happened?  God bless you for caring so much about your cats!!

Can't wait to hear your commentations on BB!

Thinking about you and praying for you!!

Jan

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Gardenman,

You are a walking (on crutches) miracle!  You have my admiration....your stamina amazes me!!  A lesser man would have given up!!  WOW!!  Did I miss the post where you explain how the break happened?  God bless you for caring so much about your cats!!

Can't wait to hear your commentations on BB!

Thinking about you and praying for you!!

Jan

The femur is the biggest, strongest bone in the body. It's typically only broken in major auto accidents. I broke mine carrying out my laundry. I'd taken one load of laundry out to the car and was carrying the second basket out when all heck broke loose. It was a relatively warm morning at 39 degrees on the 11th, but it had been very cold previously, so the ground deep down was still frozen. I was stepping down from my yard to the driveway when there was a mudslide taking my right leg out from under me, and I collapsed atop my left leg.

I laid there and knew I was hurt. I rolled onto my back/side and pulled my left leg out from under me, praying "be a sprain, be a sprain" the whole time, and then set the left leg atop the right leg to evaluate things. The left leg looked good until just above the knee, then it took an unexpected bend to the right, and the left foot was pointing downwards in a way it couldn't normally. I immediately knew one of two things had happened. Either I'd broken my femur, or I'd somehow become a world class yogi able to contort my body in unimaginable ways. I assumed the worse and laid down, pulled out my phone and dialed 911. I told them I'd broken my leg and they sent help.

Sadly the X-Rays confirmed I hadn't become a world class yogi. It was, in the words of the trauma docs and X-Ray techs, a "bad break," an " ugly break, " and "not good." It all got patched back together in surgery, and now I just have to give it time to heal. Ten to twelve weeks to become weight-bearing and four to six months to fully recover. Fun!

Today, I went to Wal-Mart and used one of their battery powered carts to get the groceries I needed. My neighbor then carried them into the house for me. I watered down my barely surviving houseplants, touched up a couple of my aquariums, glued together the broken arm on a chair that's been annoying me, and I'll be heading out to get my lunch soon, then infuse more clotting factor and inject the Lovenox into my belly, and watch the Super Bowl. I've got some chips for the game and I'm hoping the Eagles' luck is better than mine. It's been an interesting way to start a new year. I don't recommend it, but it's been interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Boy oh boy!  What a story!!  And, after your year of last taking care of Mom and all of that...you deserve a break Buddy!!  How long did you have to lay on the cold ground?  Thank you to GOD that you had your phone on you!!!

You have more moxy than I!!  I'd still be sitting inside feeling sorry for myself!!  I hope your kitties are being good to you!!  

Keep that Happy Chin UP and I'll be thinking of you and following you!!  You are an inspiration to all!!HeartSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Boy oh boy!  What a story!!  And, after your year of last taking care of Mom and all of that...you deserve a break Buddy!!  How long did you have to lay on the cold ground?  Thank you to GOD that you had your phone on you!!!

You have more moxy than I!!  I'd still be sitting inside feeling sorry for myself!!  I hope your kitties are being good to you!!  

Keep that Happy Chin UP and I'll be thinking of you and following you!!  You are an inspiration to all!!HeartSmiley Happy

The first police car was there in about four minutes, a second one came about a minute later. The ambulance then was about a minute or two behind him. They slid a sheet under my legs and another under my arms to lift me onto the stretcher, so I was probably on the ground less than ten minutes. I can't complain about how they handled things. They did a good job.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman Good grief!  You've had one heck of a time.  I'm sorry you had such a bad fall.  When you do something guy, you do it up!

We are all thinking of you and hope you get better soon.  You sure don't let anything keep you down.  Take care.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman.....bet you are happy today.... your eagles flew!  Glad you are healing.

Respected Contributor

Hi, Gardenman!

What about them Eagles!!!  I hope you didn't break your other leg jumping up and down!!!  Man, what a game!  I loved all the stellar offense (by both teams), the trick plays, and the heart-stopping reviews!  What an entertaining 4 plus hours!  cheerleaders.gifcheerleaders.gifcheerleaders.gif

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Yeah, they can be quirky. This is the same water dish, just moved to a more convenient location for me while on the crutches, and she's avoiding it like it's poisoned. She sneaks up to eat her food without ever taking her eyes off the water bowl in case it tries something. I'm not sure what she's expecting it to do, but she's very suspicious of it. Anyway, I've got her drinking out of the fish tank again so she won't get too dehydrated. She's a bit quirky.

@gardenman  LOL!