Respected Contributor

Many of us remember a time when it wasnt Christmas without Bing Crosby.  We dont like the performers of today.  getTV is running a 24-Hour White Christmas Marathon featuring seven of Bing Crosby’s Christmas specials from the ‘70s--six of which have not been seen since they were originally broadcast over 40 years ago--with such guest stars as Sally Struthers, Jackie Gleason, Fred Astaire, Robert Goulet, Michael Landon, Connie Stevens, Bernadette Peters, Twiggy, Kathryn Crosby. Leading into midnight EST on Christmas Eve, getTV will be featuring “Bing Crosby’s Merrie Olde Christmas” special from 1977. This special was the star’s final appearance, filmed just prior to his death and aired afterward.

Honored Contributor

Frankly, I never could stand him.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago he said he would disinherit his daughter if she got pregnant out of wedlock.  I haven't liked him since.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Is he the one who left his first family and children for a new wife and never looked back to those kids? I may be mistaken.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Reever

I can't wait to watch. I am glad you mentioned it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I still remember reading that he was an abusive parent, especially with his first family. I watched a little of one of his specials and I must say it was disturbing. To see the goody-two-shoes pseudo piety in the face of alleged abuse was very unpleasant.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I still remember reading that he was an abusive parent, especially with his first family. I watched a little of one of his specials and I must say it was disturbing. To see the goody-two-shoes pseudo piety in the face of alleged abuse was very unpleasant.

Vivian, you cant believe what you read in the tabloids.  When I listen to his voice or watch one of his pictures I am harkened back to a simpler time in America. I suggest you listen to the wonderful duets with Rosemary Clooney. 

Honored Contributor

All four of his sons were alcoholics, and two committed suicide.  His son, Gary, wrote a book about him.

"Gary's incendiary 1983 book, "Going My Own Way," depicts Bing Crosby as the embodiment of a dysfunctional father. According to Gary, he was a cold, aloof, disapproving man who beat his children for the most trivial of infractions."

Gary is now a reformed alcoholic.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Get TV Bing Crosby

[ Edited ]

@Reever    Thank you for the info.  I will look for it.  And to the remainder of you who felt the need to turn this post into "bashing Bing Crosby", I wish you a very Merry Christmas.  May you focus on the positive in the coming year.

Honored Contributor

Reever  -

Did you get a chance to watch the PBS American Masters Special about Bing Crosby? It was shown in 2014. The documentary was well researched and well done. And tAmerican Masters was given access to Bing Crosby's archives.