Honored Contributor

Re: George Washington 3 Night Miniseries

I was very tantalized by the ad for that mini-series about Washington, a most complex, fascinating figure.  Thanks for the reminder!

Valued Contributor

Anyone know if it is new? There was something called The Windsors I believe, on Netflix.

Honored Contributor

We watched this tonight, and I've already DVR'd the next two nights. I thought it was really good, and the actor who played Washington, Nicholas Rowe, was great. I learned a lot. Having the experts helped enhance the program. I will warn anyone who hasn't seen it - it IS violent in parts, especially the scenes with the early Native Americans. 

Valued Contributor

@beach-mom  I plan on watching the remainder of the series as it airs. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the effort taken to bring that period of history to life again. Loved watching the dancing and social scenes.The actor, at least to me, has been a very believable Washington so far.

I was also a little surprised at how easily I had forgotten (or never thought about!) that Washington was a part of the British army, and where his original aspirations were.....

Series like these help drive home the point of how different history would have unfolded if one or two (relatively) little things had gone differently. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

The current GW miniseries is new, never before aired. It's produced by one of my favorite historians, Doris Kearns Goodwin.  I recorded the first episode last night and haven't yet watched it.

Another one not to miss is "What's Eating America?" on MSNBC.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I'm sure learning a lot of stuff we didn't get in high school.  DH was at some Daytona 500 party and missed the bloody battle scenes.  We will both watch tonight.  I'm also looking forward to Grant after seeing those ads on Washington.  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched part 1 on-demand. This was excellent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a huge interest in the Founding Fathers, as well as the Founding Mothers... in particular George and Martha.  The women played huge roles in the early success of our country and they're often overlooked.  Books, like this excellent one by Cokie Roberts, are hard to find...

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 7.10.57 AM.png

... and this one that I especially loved...

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 7.19.36 AM.png

I would have liked to see more about the Washington's personal life in the miniseries, but I understand that time was limited and there was a lot to cover.  Maybe they'll have a series about Martha at some time.

If you have a particular interest in George Washington, as I do, you might also find this book worth reading.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 7.15.33 AM.png

~ house cat ~