Respected Contributor

Did anybody watch the new HBO series called Gentleman Jack? What did you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Never heard of it. What’s it about and who is Gentlemen Jack? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Gentleman Jack

[ Edited ]

It is set in 1832 in Halifax, England and is the true story of Anne Lister who dressed as a man, traveled the world, kept extensive diaries and is considered the first modern lesbian. It is written by the same person who wrote "Happy Valley" and other BBC dramas.

Regular Contributor

I watched because I really like the actress who plays Lister.  I thought it was very good.  Looking forward to the next episode

Honored Contributor

The finale was pretty good.  I loved the simplicity of the brides wedding dress & wreath. 

Overall a great finale.  

Spoiler
Now Anne Lister will have $$$$$$$ to sink the coal pit. 

Anne Lister's seducing skills are better than most men! Smiley LOL

Spoiler

I did not have my cc on.  In all the online "recaps" this scene was not mentioned. icon_exclaim.gif

I could not make out what the "uncle" of Ann's tennet (the kid who got married) said to Ann's coal manager.  If anyone could translate please advise.

Anne meeting the queen of Denmark & the ball scene cracked me up! 

Spoiler
Anne storming in there like a dude, all dressed in white, asking her companion to dance, not waiting for an answer & then taking up the whole ballroom doing their thang!

HBO & BBC has renewed for S2

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@chessylady   Yes, loving this series.  Did not think I would like it but the acting is so good and I am really enjoying it.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady , I think it is a great series.  I will certainly watch Season 2.  LM

Respected Contributor

I loved this show.  I love shows set in a different era because it is very interesting to me to see how different views are handled compared to today.

Respected Contributor

I just picked up the book at Barnes and Noble. It is called "Gentleman Jack The Real Anne Lister" by Anne Choma.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gentleman Jack

[ Edited ]

A new product from Jack Daniels

image.png