Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🎶 Genius: Aretha 👍🏾

What a walk down memory lane @World Traveler I remember the maroon World Books too that we had.  I am working on getting my books together so that when I retire I can enjoy reading them.

Well, I finally finished watching Genius the other day, I truly enjoyed it and the all the actors.  I didn't know Denzel's wife Paulette was going to be in it or still acting for that matter.

Aretha singing the opera piece Nessun Dorma at the end was still just as emotional for me now as it was when I watched her back in 98.  I am not into opera that much if at all but she did a astonishing job filling in for Pavarotti who was sick and unable to attend.

Honored Contributor

Overall I thought the movie was pretty good.  Especially the "gospel" singing scenes.

Cynthia Erivo who played Aretha (adult) has a good singing voice but not quite "Ree-Ree's" range. I believe some of the singing was dubbed.  Cynthia claims she was "trained" for the series to sing like Aretha by some of the greatest coaches in the music industry.

The actress who played "the child" Aretha not only could act but could SANG too = co star 🏆 worthy.

The all time 🏆 of Best Actor absolutely must go to Courtney B. Vance (which could change after watching the J. Hud version).

The finale scene was just darn F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33sINjn9o0

SIDE BAR COMMENTS

I was really surprised by the lackadaisical responses regarding 12 yrs old Aretha's pregnancy "announcement" & not finding out who the "father" is.  And I don't believe for 1 minute it was because of "sign of the time" era either.

Aretha & her father had a rather unhealthy relationship.  That is all I am going to comment on the matter.

@Luvitorleaveit1  Pauletta Washington was unrecognizable! Smiley Surprised  I had no clue till around episode 7 or 8:  The birthday party for Ree Ree's sister episode was when I recognize her. hidemf3.gif

T.I. I sort of recognized by his facial features, not by his voice.  I had to confirm reading through the credits.  Still Smiley Surprised he was in this series.

Her last marriage w/Glynn Thurman just disappeared after C.L. was shot & Ree-Ree went back home to help care for him.

confused.gif  T.I.'s character lasted longer than Glenn's. Smiley LOL

I have never heard of Cynthia Erivo.  Even after reading WIKI still don't. Smiley Tongue

Can't wait to see the J. Hud version.  Aretha hand picked her.

Aretha! .gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I was pleased to see T.I. in the film.  He's been doing a lot of acting.  He's made the transition from a rap career into film, much like Ice Cube and Ice T.

I too enjoyed the entire biopic and we did get a peek inside of some aspects of her life that her family probably didn't want the world to see (I believe that @Mz iMac) . 

Courtney and "Big Mama" Pauletta Washington (Denzel's wife) played their roles well.  Courtney sounded just like a Southern Preacher.  I didn't know Pauletta acted. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset   Yes, Pauletta is an part time actress.  One of her sons is an actor as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Yes, Pauletta is an part time actress.  One of her sons is an actor as well.

@Mz iMacYes, indeed I have seen their son act.  He actually doesn't look like Denzel to me.  Looks like Pauletta.  John David Washington is a good looking man! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac - I wasn't familiar with Cynthia Erivo either until I saw her in the movie Harriet which was really, really good too.

How could I forget TI he is really good too he has been in several movies American Gangstar and Takers to name a couple.

I too thought the oh well response to her pregancy at what 12 years old was really crazy.  They should have brought some kind of closer to Aretha and Glynn's marriage but then again if she "needed to stay by her father's side" why didn't he fly to her with the kids for the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Yes he is nice looking.  You're right, he does look just like his mother yet, his voice sounds like Denzel's.  When I close my eyes, I hear Denzel's voice. Smiley Very Happy

@Luvitorleaveit1  Certain things I truely believed she wanted to take to the grave to "protect her father's legacy."

Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1  @Mz iMac   what was even stranger to me was after the first baby - when it became obvious that her father wasn't giving her the supervision she needed on the road - why didn't he or someone do a better job? It seemed like the adults in her life pretty much failed her. 

Did anyone see the movie Amazing Grace when it was released in 2019? I enjoyed it so much, I saw it multiple times. This is the trailer, Amazing Grace

I am glad I watched this. I know enough about Ms Franklin's life to know they did a pretty accurate depiction of most of the important events. I am also looking forward to seeing Ms Hudson's portrayal knowing it will be like comparing apples to oranges. That will be the cleaner, edited, and briefer version. There's a place for both.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique  Yes I watched it on our local PBS channel.  It was aired sometime after Aretha's funeral.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gertrudecloset  Yes he is nice looking.  You're right, he does look just like his mother yet, his voice sounds like Denzel's.  When I close my eyes, I hear Denzel's voice. Smiley Very Happy

@Luvitorleaveit1  Certain things I truely believed she wanted to take to the grave to "protect her father's legacy."

@Mz iMacto protect her father's legancy and hers too!  For people who aren't familiar with ReRe, an internet search right about now will shed light on a lot.  ReRe was private for a reason.  There's a lot of stuff on the net now (after her death) than it was prior to her death.  C.L. was no joke and the biopic just teased about him.