Esteemed Contributor

Re: General Hospital ~ April Thread

On 4/1/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I am disappointed that Geary isn't retiring. I can't even sand to look at him any longer.

Agreed!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

LOL, I TOTALLY forgot about it being "new thread day" even though it is April 1st. I kept wondering why no one had replied since it was such a big show. I guess the April Fool's joke is on me, duh!

I am just going to reproduce what I had in the March thread here, even though I can see that you guys have obviously all seen the show now. I am just too tired to rewrite it to reflect that so I am posting it "as is".

I was afraid maybe I was the only one who liked today's show, but I thought it was pretty good. I know GH history has been rewritten and mangled to death the past two years and today was really no exception in a couple of ways, but they did honor some history too, I thought.

I liked it so much I think because it reminded me of watching the show with my grandmother when GH was young....

Really, I just decided to take today as a stand alone episode and enjoy it as such because I figure tomorrow we will be back to same old shoddy story telling.

I did think Tony Geary was great today, not so much as Luke, but as Tim Spencer. Just really good and I loved Laura Wright and the actors who played young Luke and Patricia. They all did fine jobs, IMO.

There were definitely unanswered questions such as: why did Patricia bolt off from Luke and Bobbie after the incidents? I would have thought she would want to stay with them. They seemed so close? Why did she never contact them?

If the house exploded and blew up, why was it still mostly there?

And what about the witness protection incident with Julian and Luke trying to kill his family and others as mentioned above?

And many more...

Most importantly, IMO anyway, even though I loved them using the original opening video, why oh WHY didn't they use the original music too? I love that music. That would be been SO great.

Anyway, below were my thoughts about the today (just a couple of minor changes). Sorry it is so long. I thought I was the only one watching and so I just went on and on....I'm sorry about that. It's long so if anyone wants to skip it, that's ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"OK, after having very little faith in today's episode and what it would reveal (and I won't go into that at all for those have not yet watched it. You need to see it unspoiled), I found it to be wonderful, old fashioned soap opera story telling, well written and well acted by all involved. And they actually DID throw in an unexpected twist (at least to me).

I do think Luke has things to pay for and he should not be excused, but I surely can see now why he has had a dark side all these years and what led to this recent breakdown. I have not been complimentary of Anthony Geary's recent acting choices but he was stellar in this episode and I really take off my hat to him. He is currently up for an Emmy award for lead actor but if he is submitted next year, well, on the basis of today alone, I expect he would win.

I thought everyone involved in the black and white reveal scenes were wonderful. The actors playing the younger Spencers were amazing, all of them. As to Mr. and Mrs. Spencer and the actors portraying them, if you haven't seen them, well, they were pretty great too.

I read today's episode was written by Elizabeth Korte, a long time General Hospital writer She kept it simple and a rich, layered hour of heartfelt, sad, but yet enjoyable hour of storytelling resulted.

She probably rewrote a little bit of that history but I am okay with that.

I really appreciated that in one of the hospital scenes they alluded to the girl who had been scarred in the very first episode of the General Hospital. I got the sense from Nurse Jessie, ever so briefly, how much she adored Dr. Hardy, and I also saw and remembered that Phil Brewer was definitely no saint, even though it was just the merest flash from Jessie. Wonderful episode. For me, it was sublime and really a privilege to watch. Not a mobster in sight. Smiley Happy

I cannot wait to see what other people thought and we can really discuss it. I hope I am not alone in liking today's episode. I do have a couple of very minor quibbles but I don't even want to say anything about those until I know people have watched. Becki"

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

The black and white scenes were great!

Esteemed Contributor

I thought the episode was too drawn out, but the unfolding tragedy for me was effective and even moving. I'm used to all soaps rewriting history to suit their storyline needs so the disconnects and unanswered questions don't bother me.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/1/2015 Wsmom said:
On 4/1/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I am disappointed that Geary isn't retiring. I can't even sand to look at him any longer.

Agreed!!!!!

Me too!! After watching him as Luke for years, I really can not watch him. Despite his "history" with his family, he is now so despicable and unlikable.

Respected Contributor

I thought the April 1 epi was GREAT! I remember the original nurses station and the characters that were represented. I thought the b/w scenes at the Elm St house were great also and with Luke watching that fateful night unfold in his memory was genius. I had already figured out weeks ago that Luke had killed Tim, but adding in that he also killed Lena was epic!

I agree with Gardensla, this is a soap and in order for it to continue, changing history and facts is sometimes a necessity.

To all that dis the long time characters or stars of our show, why do you even watch?

Kudos to ABC, RC, FV, and GH and hats off to AG!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

One of the great things about Soaps is they leave themselves open for criticism. As I have watched it since I was a girl and my gran and I sat down to see the next installment when I got home from school, I think I have a right to say what I like or don't like about it. Some days I don't watch at all. Other days I watch and roll my eyes at it. Writers can deal with history without completely becoming irrational in my opinion. There are just some things in the Fluke story that defy logic and past history. My prerogative to not like it but still watch how it goes on.

Honored Contributor

In the last while I have rolled my eyes about most everything they have thrown at us. I admit that I did enjoy yesterdays show. More "soapish" and less stupid. I can get why he blocked it, how he turned into a "worse" version of his father, etc. etc. but now they are going to have to explain why Pat left him and Bobbie and never looked for them. I imagine this is his yearly "visit" to the nut house and all these other stories will now have to work themselves out. It was fun seeing "the past" with current characters.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

It's too bad there was a large news interruption today. I feel we may have missed some important information regarding Patricia.

I wonder if there is any way to find out what was missed?

The end was very sad....

I thought it was another good show. Previews look like back to business tomorrow re: Julian, etc.