Honored Contributor

General Hospital ~ April 2021 ~ Spoilers Included

[ Edited ]

Reflections from Bon Bon Pond: A Brand New Month

Happy April!

Everyone is welcome.

It has been one year since Sasha and Chase developed their ill conceived plan to get Willow and Michael married to ensure that Michael gets sole custody of Wiley. 

Here's a recap of some of the things that happened last April. 

• Nina and Jax officially became a couple.

• It was revealed Portia and Curtis had a relationship 17 years ago. The time line seemed to coincide with the period when Portia conceived Trina.

• Diane suggested Michael should marry to make him an even better choice for sole custody of Wiley.

• Sasha and Chase schemed so Willow would walk in on them and made it look like they had either just had sex or were about to.

• Finn and Anna planned a spectacular birthday party for Violet. Charlotte took her pet snake, Nagini, to the party and it got loose.

• Valentin realized that Charlotte saw him push Ava off the parapet the night of his and Nina’s second non-wedding.

Since the beginning of the March thread  some stories either moved or started.

• The event of the double weddings of Hamilton Finn to Anna Devane and Peter August to Maxie Jones was interrupted.

• Franco decided to go after Peter which was a great plan but as usual with Franco it was not well thought out. He had no backup or anyone to come to his rescue therefore he was overpowered, outsmarted, and eventually killed by Peter.

• Immediately after the cancelled wedding Chase and Gregory found out Jackie had a one-night stand with Finn the night before her wedding to Gregory which could have resulted in Chase being Finn's son, not Gregory's.

• Jason was arrested after Elizabeth accused him of murdering Franco and a supposed eye witness came forward and stated she saw Jason disposing of the gun.

• Nina decided to visit Phyllis unexpectedly and in addition to finding her she also found "Mike".

• Alexis was sentenced to three years in jail after she finally took responsibility for her actions which resulted in Dante almost losing his life.

Here's something I don't get to write often. It looks like one story ended.

• Anna and Finn decided he and Violet would move out of Anna's house and continue their lives separately.

Thank you to All who answered March's QOTM.

April Questions of the Month:

The term "heavy hitter" is defined as "a person of importance or a powerful person". Heavy hitters are everywhere including on General Hospital.

There are two questions below. As usual you make the choice of which question you want to answer. One or both. Provide details for your answers. This month let's go with current characters.

1. Name the characters you consider to be heavy hitters on GH.

2. Name the people who play the characters you consider to be heavy hitters on GH.
    The difference between the two questions is this one would be the people who have multi-year contracts, perks such as summers/months off, and most likely make the most money. They are the faces of GH.

If you don't know their real names your reply can be something like: The lady who plays Gladys. Kidding with that one.

I want to end this month's OP on a semi-serious note.

I am pleased some have had at least one vaccine and a few have had their second. Keep us updated if you are comfortable sharing that information. Let's start to think about resuming some of the activities we love in the summer. Continue to be cautious. Make decisions that will keep you and yours safe.

Please and thank you.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: General Hospital ~ April 2021 ~ Spoilers Included

[ Edited ]

Celebrating a birthday this month, if your name isn't below

let us know.

Happy Birthday April Babies!!! | Happy birthday april ...

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

GH Spoilers: What Game Is Nina Playing With Smike?

Diane Brounstein

GH Spoilers: What Game Is Nina Playing With Smike?

General Hospital spoilers for Thursday reveal plotting, a confrontation, disappointment, and so much more.

General Hospital Spoilers Highlights

Nina appears to be becoming quite the fixture around the Tano-O but her role with Smike appears to be a little backward. Instead of him doling out the advice from behind the bar, she’s the one who encourages him to find out who he really is. But considering she already knows, what game is she playing with him?

With Sonny believed dead, Jax wishes Carly would stay on the sidelines. Is that after he sees her tell Peter that no one’s getting the better of her, least of all him? She’s playing with fire and he’s right — she doesn’t have much in the way of backup anymore. Her best backup is elsewhere.

A Father’s Love

Speaking of Jason being stuck in jail, Scott goes there to confront the man he believes killed Franco. He may be disappointed because Jason insists he didn’t kill his son. Scott also tells new buddy and roommate Liesl that he knows he’s going to regret something — does he mean he might believe Jason?

Maxie and Britt continue to discuss how to handle Peter and Maxie’s far-out plot to fake her baby’s death to spare her from being raised by a murderer. Britt wants to know how far she’s willing to go with Peter to get him to buy what she’s trying to sell him. Would she let him get intimate with her again to fool him?

Ick! Don't be stupid.

The Fallout

Cameron is still messed up over Franco’s death and he takes it out on the absolutely wrong person — his younger brother. He is completely cruel and Elizabeth is disappointed in her firstborn. Jake is devastated by Cam’s assertion that his father killed Franco and Liz needs to do damage control.

While she takes care of Jake, Joss, having witnessed the ugliness, goes after her BFF. She blasts him for what he did, telling him he was cruel. Jake asks his mom if she really thinks that his dad killed Franco.

Can't wait to hear Dear Sweet's reply.

Honored Contributor

HAPPY 58TH Anniversary!!!

General Hospital' News: Happy Anniversary 'GH' - Congrats On 53 Amazing  Years! - Soap Opera Spy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

QOTM heavy hitters

1.  Sonny, Jason, Carly, Laura 

2. Maurice Bernard, Steve Burton, Laura Wright,  Genie Francis

I feel like these four are the mainstays of the show at this time and so for me, answer both questions.

Plus the lady who plays Gladys (LOL, April Fools Day)

Honored Contributor

GH Celebrates 58 Years of Romance, Surgeries, and Super-Villains

Michael Maloney

GH Celebrates 58 Years of Romance, Surgeries, And Super-Villains

General Hospital is celebrating its 58th birthday today. The show debuted on April 1, 1963, and is television’s longest scripted series currently still on the air.

General Hospital Celebrates

Created by Frank and Doris Hursley, GH told tales of patients who came to General Hospital but also delved into the private lives of the doctors and nurses who treated those patients.

Original cast members John Beradino (Dr. Steve Hardy) and Emily McLaughlin (Jessie Brewer, R.N.) were mainstays throughout the show’s first few decades. After ratings had fallen, emergency surgery was needed to save the show in the late 1970s. Head writer Douglas Marland and producer Gloria Monty invigorated GH by adding new characters, sprucing up the sets, quickening the pace, using new lighting techniques — all the while making sure Steve and Jessie were still central to the stories.

Steve learned that he had fathered young doctor Jeff Webber (Richard Dean Anderson) when Jeff’s mother Helene was separated from her husband Lars. Meanwhile Jessie took in as a roommate ace student nurse Bobbie Spencer (Jacklyn Zeman), a former “working girl.” Jessie also enjoyed a late-in-life romance with hospital administrator Dan Rooney (Frank Maxwell).

Two major dynamics that dominated the action in the late 1970s/early 1980s were the quadrangle involving doctors Lesley Webber (Denise Alexander), Rick Webber (Chris Robinson), Monica Quartermaine (Leslie Charleson), and Alan Quartermaine (Stuart Damon). Rick and Monica planned a future together, but once Alan revealed that Alan Quartermaine (A.J.) was indeed his son (courtesy of the rare Bombay phenotypes syndrome), all bets were off. Rick and Lesley re-wed. Alan and Monica stayed together.

The other big story was Luke (Anthony Geary) and Laura (Genie Francis) going on the run, first taking down Frank Smith (George Gaynes) and the mob, and then saving the world from being frozen by Mikkos Cassadine (John Colicos). The couple’s wedding brought in a record 30 million viewers.

GH’s popularity soared like never before. The ABC serial scored covers on mainstream publications Newsweek (dubbing GH “TV’s Hottest Show”) and People magazine, featuring Francis, Geary, and GH super-fan Elizabeth Taylor, who did a brief turn as Helena Cassadine. (“My curse on you, Laura and Luke!”)

Other couples emerged as the 1980s progressed including Scorpio (Tristan Rogers) and Holly (Emma Samms); Frisco (Jack Wagner) and Felicia (Kristina Wagner); and Anna Devane (Finola Hughes) and Duke Lavery (Ian Buchanan). Super-spies and action/adventure tales took center stage. The irrepressible Lucy Coe (Lynn Herring) made the scene.

GH was helmed by producer Wendy Riche and head writer Claire Labine (Ryan’s Hope) in the 1990s. The show thoughtfully addressed stories involving HIV/AIDS and breast cancer. It appeared as if Audrey (Rachel Ames) was going to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but on-screen husband Beradino passed away in 1996; Steve’s death was written into the show and Audrey’s Alzheimer’s was scrapped.

Two heart-breaking tales were Stone (Michael Sutton) dying of AIDS and Maxie (Robyn Richards; Kirsten Storms) receiving the heart of her late cousin B.J. (Brighton Hertford).

Many new dynamic characters arrived on the canvas in this decade — Laura’s son Nikolas Cassadine (Tyler Christopher; Marcus Coloma) and Bobbie’s daughter Carly (Sarah Brown; Tamara Braun; and, current portrayer, Laura Wright), Stefan Cassadine (Stephen Nichols), and Alexis Davis (AKA Natasha Alexandra Mikkosovna Cassadine) played by Nancy Lee Grahn.

In the 2000s, GH’s producer was Jill Farren Phelps; head writers included Robert Guza, Jr., Charles Pratt, Jr., and Megan McTavish.

The mob continued to be a driving force on the show. Anti-hero Sonny Corinthos (Maurice Benard) and his righthand man Jason Morgan (Steve Burton) waged war on villains including Luis Alcazar (Ted King), Faith Rosco (Cynthia Preston), Manny Ruiz (Robert LaSardo), Anthony Zacchara (Bruce Weitz), Claudia Zacchara (Sarah Brown), and many others.

Three couples emerged as fan favorites — Sonny and Carly; Sam (Kelly Monaco) and Jason; and Robin (Kimberly McCullough) and Dr. Patrick Drake (Jason Thompson).

In 2012, executive producer Frank Valentini and head writer Ron Carlivati, fresh off a successful run on One Life to Live, took the creative helm at GH just in time for the show’s 50th anniversary. In addition to introducing many entertaining characters including Dr. Britt Westmore (Kelly Thiebaud) and her mother, Dr. Liesl Obrecht (Kathleen Gati), the creative team dipped into the show’s past to honor the stories and characters that thrived in GH’s Golden Age.

The Nurses Ball was revived. Felicia finally chose Mac (John J. York) over Frisco, Lesley and Monica revisited their feud over Rick but found common ground as loving mothers. Viewers saw the returns of Brenda (Vanessa Marcil), Duke Lavery, A.J. Quartermaine (Sean Kanan), and Cesar Faison (Anders Hove). Kelly Sullivan turned in daily tour-de-force performances as Connie Falconeri AKA Kate Roberts; Maura West and William deVry joined the show as siblings Ava and Julian Jerome.

Valentini and the show’s current head writing team Chris Van Etten and Dan O’Connor continue to mine the show’s rich history while telling current tales with the show’s wide variety of characters. GH’s cast includes characters from the 1960s: Scotty (Johnny Whitaker; now, Kin Shriner); the 1970s: Laura, Bobbie, Monica, and Lesley; the 1980s: Scorpio, Anna, Lucy, Ned (Wally Kurth), and Felicia; the 1990s: Mac, Maxie, Carly, Sonny, Kevin (Jon Lindstrom), Taggert (Réal Andrews), and Elizabeth (Rebecca Herbst).

The 2000s have brought Dante Falconeri (Dominic Zamprogna), Michael Corinthos (Chad Duell), Hamilton Finn (Michael Easton), Molly Lansing (Haley Pulos), Diane Miller (Carolyn Hennesy), Curtis (Donnell Turner), Jordan (Briana Henry), Nelle (Chloe Lanier), Brando (Johnny Wactor), Martin Gray (Michael E. Knight), Harrison Chase (Josh Swickard), Cyrus Renault (Jeff Kober), Josslyn (Eden McCoy), Trina (Sydney Mikayla), and Steve Hardy’s great-grandson, Cameron Webber (William Lipton).

In an innovative casting move, the show hired daytime favorite Kim Delaney (ex-Jenny, All My Children) to play the part of Jackie Templeton, Scorpio’s old flame — the role originated by Demi Moore.

Over the course of its 58 years, GH has had spinoff series including Port Charles (1997-2003), which ran on ABC, and Night Shift, which aired on SOAPnet in 2007 and 2008. Soap Hub wishes General Hospital a happy 58th anniversary and many more to come!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is off the top of my head and to give a more definitive list, I'd need to give this some more thought, but a quick and dirty response to the question of the month...

I've decided to differentiate between those I believe can or do more or less 'carry' the show and who are somewhat 'fixtures' and those who who are probably considered the 'stars' of the show and who are also somewhat 'fixtures'... In neither category am I necessarily including those currently on the front burner, because that changes...

As far as heavy hitters who can carry the show I'd say probably Ava, Carly, Valentin, Sonny (but only because his history is to such a large extent the show's history), and one or two more I'm still considering...

As for the 'stars' of the show based mostly on history and longevity and probably among the better paid, I'd suggest probably the actors playing Anna (more's the pity), Sonny, Ava (because she has such a solid soap track record here and on As the World Turns, including multiple Emmys), Carly, and Laura, mostly based on history, because the show has done without her for large stints. I'll have to give this one some more thought too...

Jason's role is sort of central, but anyone could play it and, like Laura, the show has gone on for long periods without him, so I'll simply list him near the top of the list of second stringers...

Every soap needs it's villains so for right now, I'd also have to say Cyrus and Peter are heavy hitters but are infinitely replaceable by other villains who will come and who will go...

Note to @Tique  just as an FYI, whatever graphic appears in your first post above the line of **** is a broken image icon for me... I don't know about others... Not important but just thought you'd want to know... Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

...Note to @Tique  just as an FYI, whatever graphic appears in your first post above the line of **** is a broken image icon for me... I don't know about others... Not important but just thought you'd want to know... Smiley Wink

@stevieb   you know me well enough to know I would want to know. I changed it.

Thank you. Love smiley 1

Honored Contributor

Wanted to pop in really quick and say hi to everyone.  It's been ridiculously busy at work (tax season) and I was sick 3 days last week and totally out of commission. Consequently I came in last Saturday, won't be able to leave early tomorrow even though we technically get a half day off for Good Friday and I will be here Saturday.  Hopefully it will be my last Saturday of working.

Still watching and still not loving what they are doing. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Tique. Hard to believe it's April already.  Thank you for your hard work and dedication to this GH family.  Without you, we wouldn't have the friendships and the various thoughts on everything GH.  Also happy you had your 1st shot.

To everyone who have gotten or are scheduled to get the shots, congratulations.   It's been difficult in some areas.  I'm scheduled for my 2nd on Tuesday.  I know several people who had body aches and fevers after the 2nd, while others had only a tender arm.  Either way, getting the shot is a good thing, imo.  Staying safe and healthy is important.

QOTM....hmmmmm

I suppose Sonny and Carly would be heavy hitters.  Some other characters have been dumbed down or moved to recurring status, otherwise I'd include them.

Maurice Benard and Laura Wright can embody their characters and fill the screen.

Powerful characters/actors seem few and far between now.  One that I remember was Douglas Watson who played Mac Cory on Another World.  Though I didn't watch too much whenever I saw him on screen, he gave a powerful performance.   Oh, and he had a gorgeous head of hair.  Ok, time to stop.

The beginning of the week was warm; today we're in the mid 30's.  I'm hoping that Spring comes soon and decides to stay.

Wishing all who celebrate a Happy Passover and  Blessed Easter.