Respected Contributor

If any of you grew up in the greater Philadelphia area and watched Cartoon Corners in the late fifties, early 60's, the host, Gene London, passed away on Monday. He was a staple of Sat. morning TV. He later became a fashion designer for movies and Broadway. Even as  little girl I thought he was so handsome. RIP.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who is from Philly , grew up there, I asked her and she said she does remember him, she is in her 70's now. 

Super Contributor

Saturday morning was planned around Gene London and Cartoon Corners.  He was so talented, and it was fun to watch him at his drawing table. He is forever a good memory of my childhood.

Honored Contributor

I vaguely remember Gene London.  What little I remember is him w/puppets  I do not remember him drawing anything......

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Gene London

[ Edited ]

I remember him well.

Years ago Boscov's had some of his collection of Hollywood stars costumes from their movies on display. I could not believe all the dresses that were displayed around the store. They also had a large room filled with dresses.

And the stars were biggies, Grace Kelly, Bette Davis, Marilyn Monroe - you name it he had a dress. Wonder where the collection is now. 

PS - His collection consisted of 60,000 pieces of Hollywood costumes and accessories.

Respected Contributor

I am retired but many years ago I was in a Brownie troop, we all went to City Line Ave & was in his audience. It was a huge deal think I may have been about 7yrs old afterward in the parking lot was a Mr. Softee (ice cream truck) and we all got free ice cream cones. 

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I am retired but many years ago I was in a Brownie troop, we all went to City Line Ave & was in his audience. It was a huge deal think I may have been about 7yrs old afterward in the parking lot was a Mr. Softee (ice cream truck) and we all got free ice cream cones. 

That is so neat. I am so glad you were able to see the show in person. And got to see the people and characters up close.

How well I know that intersection on City Line Avenue. I just played the Mr Softee song in my head. I know it all too well. Even though the kid next door was a Good Humor man.

Esteemed Contributor

I well remember Gene London and how I loved watching him on Saturday mornings.  Gee, I hadn't thought about him in years and, in fact, that he had passed some time ago.  Thank you for the information.  I'm going to google him for more info.

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about Gene London.  Fun childhood memories,   I was in the audience once, too. 

Respected Contributor

Hi Catter - South Jersey Kid here...so yea Gene was a staple, so sad.

I loved his show.

His drawings, his spooky mansion storyline, his "girlfriend" character.

His kind and gentle way...his show was pivitol on Saturdays, then Kukla/Fran/and Ollie > which if the theme for that particular day's show was animal stories - my mother plucked me off the den floor and tossed me out back to play because I'd often cry for days over the show themes not understanding the idea of animal actors!!!

He was terrific - and yes HANDSOME as could be.  

RIP GENE LONDON -

you helped a lot of liddle kiddles with kind and gentle stories of all sorts, grow our imaginations!