Respected Contributor

I also enjoyed him as well.  90 and where does the time go.  Rest in peace and sympathy to his family and friends.

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle From MTM wiki page:

Murray is happily married to Marie (Joyce Bulifant) and has several daughters. In the show's later years, he and Marie adopt a Vietnamese son. Although a happy family man, Murray is forever in love with Mary Richards, who is, in his words, "Absolutely terrific". He is protective of her and always concerned for her happiness and well-being. At one point, when Murray truly believes he is in love with Mary in a real way, Marie thinks he is going to leave the family. Mary explains to Marie that she thinks of Murray as a best friend, which helps things settle down.

Esteemed Contributor

Grew up watching Love Boat.

1375216042000-MacLeodCover-1307301628_3_4.jpg

Contributor

A Saturday night staple in the 1970s and 1980s, thanks to his back-to-back hit programs.  Another part of my childhood and early adolescence is gone...

Honored Contributor

Re: Gavin McLeod Dead at 90

[ Edited ]

Another bit of heartbreaking news this evening.

My late husband and I adored "Love Boat," and we both enjoyed Gavin on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."  He was a consistently good actor.

May he rest in peace.  

Boy, my times and those who populated it are coming to an end.  It hurts.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle   I never felt Murray was in love with Mary either. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@catter70 

Do you watch either show streaming or TV?  Can't seem to find Love Boat here on any channel.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@catter70 

Do you watch either show streaming or TV?  Can't seem to find Love Boat here on any channel.

____

Love Boat reruns are on MeTV on Sundays at 5 p.m. CT.

I have At&t Uverse

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 , Love Boat is also on Decades TV M-F at 6 p.m. ET. MTM is also on Decades TV from 2 p,m, to 3 p.m. M-F.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I just read something interesting, in an article it said that even tho Murray was married to Marie, the audience was supposed to assume he was always really in love with Mary, I never thought that.  Did I miss something?

Not seriously "in love" with Mary, nor was it an "emotional affair" on Marie. I think it was always a cute, harmless crush and admiration for Mary.