Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Watched him on Mary Tyler Moore and Love Boat.  May he RIP.

Honored Contributor

Very sad news, he was great in both roles. 

Valued Contributor

I just saw him in a Perry Mason episode. He was always fun to watch. RIP

Esteemed Contributor

I have always liked him in everything that he did.  Condolences to family and friends.  May he rest in peace.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that, @twinsister .   A yeoman character actor, but he was especially wonderful in "Mary Tyler Moore" wringing all the different notes as "Murray Slaughter".   Sweet and kind in general, but deliciously acerbic and teasing with Ted and Sue Ann.

He was apparently lovely in person too.  RIP.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gavin McLeod Dead at 90

[ Edited ]

I loved him on Mary Tyler Moore. He was such a good guy as Murray. I was not a great fan of The Love Boat but I did watch occasionally. He played a good character. So many of the 1970s characters of the MTM show are gone now. Mary and Rhoda are both gone. Cloris Leachman, too. Ted Knight died years ago and the actress who played his girlfriend/wife died as well. I’m glad Ed Asner and ****** Van ****** are still with us. I enjoyed their TV shows. Those two guys are proving that 90 is the new 70!

P.S. How could I have forgotten the great Betty White? She was fantastic on MTM. That happy homemaker was a hoot.

Respected Contributor

Awww...Murray. 😢 Had no idea he was 90! RIP 

MTM...was one of the best ensemble of characters, ever, in television history. So many laughs and memories from that show. 

Honored Contributor

Asner just posted that he and Gavin were like bros, and now he said to Betty, it is just you and me !!!

Read that Gavin had auditioned for the role of Archie Bunker, and when Norman Lear told him he didnt get the part, he was so relieved, said he knew it was not the right part for him. 

Honored Contributor

I just read something interesting, in an article it said that even tho Murray was married to Marie, the audience was supposed to assume he was always really in love with Mary, I never thought that.  Did I miss something?

Respected Contributor

Re: Gavin McLeod Dead at 90

[ Edited ]

I just saw this on the news. I just thought he was the best and still watch MTM and the Love Boat pretty much every day. RIP, Captain.