Honored Contributor

It's not good. Needs Ingrid and Chuckie B. But most of all Joseph Cotton.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

AGREED! Total yawn and completely miscast! We need Ingrid and Charles Boyer ASAP! 

Frequent Contributor

Missed it - forgot it was on but I'm watching the 1944 version now (Boyer, etc.) for the umpteenth time as I love this movie!

Honored Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, that was Angela Lansbury's first film role.

Honored Contributor

It was.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I recorded it and will watch later today.  IMO no one could top the performances of Boyer and especially Ingrid who deservedly won the Oscar for it.

Honored Contributor

Bergman, Boyer, Cotten, Lansbury--  just the best!

Respected Contributor

I actually liked both versions. I thought Anton Walbrook who played Sergis in the first version was more blatantly and openly arrogant and nasty (and kind of fun to watch), which made the wife's behavior more obvious to understand. But I also liked the second version in which Sergis was played as a more passive-aggressive and manipulative character; of course I loved Ingrid Bergman.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily  Agree!  I liked the 1940 version.  Walbrook was more sinister than Boyer and more of a psycho.  As much as I like Joseph Cotton (Shadow of a Doubt) I did not miss him in this movie.  Wynyard was very good but I did miss Ingrid.  Otherwise I thought it was a a very good version of this story.

Did not find it boring at all although I knew the story.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Bergman, Boyer, Cotten, Lansbury--  just the best!

oznell: I just finished watching it about 1/2  hour ago.  I DVRd it and must have watched this movie a zillion times but I always see something new that I did not notice before.  It still kept me on the edge of my seat.  Angela was so young, it was her first movie.  Fabulous!