Honored Contributor

Re: Garth and Trisha Holiday Special

I'm in the minority, I found the show to be boring.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2   I share your opinion. It would have been nice for Garth to dress up a bit -- Trisha looked nice but he looked "watching sports on the couch sloppy." But it was boring and I didn't last through 3 songs. I like them, but not this show.

Valued Contributor

@ IG - I love Garth (and Trisha) and enjoyed the special.  That's interesting that you saw him on Kelly's show and he said he co-wrote one of my favorites, The Dance.  I had read an interview with him where he said that song was brought to him, he loved it and recorded it.  That he wished he had written it.  Wonder where does the truth "lie?"  Love him no matter what Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed the first half of this show.  Unfortunately it started late.  I was recording it and didn't realize I should record an additional 30 minutes.  I may try to look it up On Demand.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

@ IG - I love Garth (and Trisha) and enjoyed the special.  That's interesting that you saw him on Kelly's show and he said he co-wrote one of my favorites, The Dance.  I had read an interview with him where he said that song was brought to him, he loved it and recorded it.  That he wished he had written it.  Wonder where does the truth "lie?"  Love him no matter what Smiley Happy

@Tessa Mendoza  It seems Tony Arata wrote The Dance. Google has info about this song.

Respected Contributor

I also liked that Garth paid homage to the "late great"  Dan Fogelberg. Loved the show!  Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I really enjoyed the first half of this show.  Unfortunately it started late.  I was recording it and didn't realize I should record an additional 30 minutes.  I may try to look it up On Demand.

@NickNack - I only got the first half or so, too.  What was up with that?  Trisha had just started to sing "O Holy Night" (one of my absolute favorites) and it cut out.

You'd think CBS could've gotten the timing right on something like this.  I have no idea what the program in front of it was.

I'll see if I can find it on demand somewhere.  I tried to use the link provided by another poster but all I got was commerical after commercial.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

@Tessa Mendoza @KingstonsMom - I just rewatched that episode of Garth with Kelly Clarkson.  He didn't say he wrote "The Dance" in any of what I saw.

She had asked him about it and he said he and a group of about eight were at the Bluebird listening to Tony Arata sing it and that he then took it to Alan Reynolds to think about recording it for his upcoming album.

I've never heard Garth claim to have written any part of the song.  He's always said it was written by Tony Arata.  Garth was simply the one who recorded and had a hit with it.

(That episode in online, if you want to watch it.)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia 

I believe you and I stand corrected, I was obviously distracted while watching that part (dang phone ringing!).

I do remember him saying that after he recorded it, he heard it play on the radio in his truck and all of a sudden he 'got' the meaning of the song and he cried.

Very poignant and meaningful song.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack - I only got the first half or so, too.  What was up with that?  Trisha had just started to sing "O Holy Night" (one of my absolute favorites) and it cut out.

You'd think CBS could've gotten the timing right on something like this.  I have no idea what the program in front of it was.

I'll see if I can find it on demand somewhere.  I tried to use the link provided by another poster but all I got was commerical after commercial.

@Venezia   I just noticed that it will be on again tonight at 9:00 on CBS.  I've set my DVR to record it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau