Respected Contributor

i subscribe to HBO.  I have never watched Game of Thrones.  I feel like I have missed a great series.  Should I spend the time and watch from the beginning?

Respected Contributor

I got a two month free subscription to HBO and thought I would watch this series.  My kids rave about it.  I think I got up to episode 5 and just couldn't get into it.  I find the se$xual stuff nasty and there's lots of violence.  Guess I'm in the minority here.

Honored Contributor

GOT (Game Of Thrones) is amazing!  However, it is bloody and if you are the least bit skiddish you maybe should read more about it first!

I love, love this show.  Just about everyone I know loves this show (maybe it's who I hang out with).

However, I do have a friend who couldn't watch ANY of it.  She watches mostly Lifetime and ROMCOMS.

If I were you, I read some things (without it divulging the show) before you delve too deeply into it.

Everything is just a matter of choices.  What I like, you might not like.

It's very difficult for one person (unless one knows them well) to recommend a show like this to another.

You must have friends who've watched it (good friends).  What do they say about it?  

Honored Contributor

I don't get HBO but I have watched clips of it on my kids netflex or whatever and everytime I watched, there was something incredibly violent so I just couldn't watch.

I know so many love it but I just couldn't get past all that. I need to watch so violence like I need a hole in the head!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

If you decide to watch you really should view it from the beginning.  It's very complex with lots of characters & story lines.

It's well done....great costumes, acting, etc. HOWEVER...it is one of the most difficult shows to view if you have a hard time watching lots of violence!...it's guaranteed in each episode.  I have my own personal name for the show which is "Mud & Blood".

It's not the sort of show I would be typically be drawn to and it was difficult to get into the first few episodes.   However once I did get in I was hooked!  I can't wait for the last season.

Respected Contributor

Re: Game of Thrones

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend it.  I usually hate shows with violence in it. But this show is set in a world that is similar to the Medieval Period World.  And during that time, there is a lot of violence (beheading, war, slavery, and rape).  I think the violence in the show is essential to establish how difficult it is to live in that kind of the world.  I am usually a Romantic Comedy and drama kind of person, but I really like Game of Thrones. You should definitely watch from the beginning.  It is great story telling.

Trusted Contributor

Yes,definitely watch it. As other posters have noted, it's violent, bloody and very dark. It is one of the best series I have ever watched. I never read any of the books, so I was clueless as to the storyline. Fortunately, my younger son watched the first three seasons with me. He read the entire series twice, so he was my interpreter. So pay close attention to the characters and the storylines and you will do fine. GOT is one of the best acted shows on television. Every award they have ever received is well deserved.

Respected Contributor

I agree with most of the others.  It is very violent but still one of the most interesting series I've ever watched.  Probably the only series that has ever had me yelling out at the TV when something totally unexpected happened.  The only thing is they are waiting so long to show the final season that I will need to watch the whole series over again before then just to remember everything.

While I love the show, I don't think it is for everybody.  I would be embarressed to have it on if my mom was around for example.  Also, I know my best friend could never watch it because of the violence. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, if you like fantasy and pageantry and intrigue and gorgeous scenery and mazing costumes  and a rich, complicated storyline.  Also if violence and sex don't bother you.  I read the books long before the tv show ever came along.  I love that show!

Respected Contributor

I echo everyone's posts. It took me 3 or 4 episodes to get into it and then I was hooked. The only problem is, there is sooo much time that passes from one season to another. I recommend it highly. To each his own.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.